Loopybike gets a make over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
How about a piece of sponge stapled to the end of a bit of bamboo (or any sort of stick).
I made one up with a flat sponge for doing behind the radiators in the house. You can paint sideways. Works brilliantly!

You could cut the sponge into a cylinder shape.
That's much better than my idea of a spray can on one side and guttering on the other.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
How about a piece of sponge stapled to the end of a bit of bamboo (or any sort of stick).
I made one up with a flat sponge for doing behind the radiators in the house. You can paint sideways. Works brilliantly!

You could cut the sponge into a cylinder shape.

I shake your hand sir.

Problem solve :smile:

Thanks

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Tube frame all welded, top plate made and painted (badly! Lol )
DSC_0168.JPG
DSC_0170.JPG

Need to polish the tubes and upholster the pad.
I've splashed out on a new seatpost so when that arrives I'll fit the rods under the frame for it to mount to. I'd rather wait in case I weld them with the wrong spacing.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Gave the top a layer of flexible filler to give it shape and to prevent the welded in threads rubbing through the foam.
This will be sanded smooth once it's gone off.
Also the leather arrived this morning so I'll make a start on the sewing tonight.
DSC_0175.JPG
DSC_0177.JPG

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
I'm using 15mm thick foam. I bought it a while ago to trim a seat for a go cart I made, so it's the proper stuff.
After sticking it to the pad with auto trim contact adhesive, I decided to add another layer. Can't be too comfy eh?

And that's as far as I got tonight, I got a bit sidetracked with cutting a thorn Bush down!
DSC_0179.JPG
DSC_0178.JPG

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
is it me or does the seat post appear to be unusually far back?

The geometry was based on a Carlton International. It may be an optical illusion as the top tube falls short of the distance between the stem and seat post. I actually regret doing this, it one of the things I'd change if I made another (not bloody likely!!!!) lol
I think the camera angle doesn't help

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Oh and my sewing machine is playing up and the seatpost hasn't arrived yet. Also the 8mm stainless rod for the seat did turn up, but it came as 5mm and made of aluminium ! :angry:

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
The rod was heated, bent in to shape then welded to the underside of the base.

I did try it out on the bike to see what it was like without any padding. .... Won't do that again..... WAY WAY WAY too hot!!!! In hind sight, I should have let it cool for longer. I've never jumped off a bike so quick!

DSCPDC_0001_BURST20180820174342814_COVER.JPG
DSC_0189.JPG

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Just as a little side:
I took the kids to Wolverhampton art gallery on Sunday. The "pay by card" parking meter wasn't working and I had no change. There were two chaps in the car park, in their early twenties I'd guess. One had a rather cool looking road bike. I asked them where the nearest cash point was, and couldn't help compliment the bike. One of the chaps pulled a quid out of his pocket and offered it to me. How nice was that!?
If you're reading this, I hope only good things come your way :smile:

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Right, I'm about to start painting the inside of the seat tubes.
I have cut some foam into squares. When the artery forceps (did I mention I'm an amateur surgeon?) squeezes it the foam forms a nice round shape. Hopefully this will do the trick :smile:

Wish me luck, I'm off to the garage. ( you didn't think I was going to paint it on the dining room table did you? :smile: )

DSC_0194.JPG

Top Bottom