Loosing my Mojo for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan1502

Does anyone have any advice on how i re-ignite my passion for Cycling, Really struggling of late to be bothered to get kitted up and go out...

I brought a brand new BMC 3 weeks ago and its still sitting in the shed a tarmac virgin..... :sad:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Mojo comes, and Mojo goes. It happens..

On the occasions that I've been infected with Mojoitis, I've forced myself to head out for just a mile or so. Once pedalling, it seems to work,for me, and I'm back on track.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This tale may sound a bit corny, but it is totally genuine.

Until early last year, I felt very much the same. I'm almost exclusively a solo rider, and whenever I did manage to go out, everything felt like a pale shadow of what I used to do and I couldn't enjoy it.

On a sudden impulse, I called my best old cycling buddy, and we agreed on a leisurely 30-odd mile ride in the Cotswolds. I enjoyed every minute of it, and from then on whenever I heard that voice - you'll never enjoy cycling again - then however I was feeling I knew it to be a lie. I haven't heard it for ages.

It comes and goes. I find setting a target helps even if it's just "get to cafe x and have a bacon sandwich". Above all, just try and get out on the bike to have fun somewhere easy with no targets or anything.

OP
OP
dan1502

dan1502

This has all started after Ride London 100, i then carried on cycling in to work every other day thats a 40 mile round trip but now all of a sudden i genuinely can not be arsed.

Maybe all i need is to do a couple of miles just to get the legs moving....

macp

Guru
I get like this at the weekends I guess because I cycle to work all week. Just now plucking up the courage to go out with my local cycle group

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Does anyone have any advice on how i re-ignite my passion for Cycling, Really struggling of late to be bothered to get kitted up and go out...

I brought a brand new BMC 3 weeks ago and its still sitting in the shed a tarmac virgin..... :sad:
Why get "kitted up" , just get on your bike and ride it like a loony, go out in the rain and get wet through if you want,riding your bike doesn't have to be a drudge, you can wear whatever you want, go where ever you like for as long as you want, have fun, don't worry about distance or speed or cadence etc etc. Enjoy your bike, that's what it's there for. I would love to get out on my bike at the moment but can't due to a broken finger, you can bet when I do get out I am gonna love it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Do something a bit different. Try going mountain biking, or search out some hills and push yourself a bit. Commuting can get a touch mundane, sometimes a change of scene can do wonders for motivation.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This has all started after Ride London 100, i then carried on cycling in to work every other day thats a 40 mile round trip but now all of a sudden i genuinely can not be arsed.

Maybe all i need is to do a couple of miles just to get the legs moving....
This is a common topic, so firstly, you are not alone.

Sounds a little like you may have overdone it. Plus commuting is...whilst fun...slightly souless and relative. So its a good way to start to see riding as a function rather than as fun.

My advice is generally to find a way to rekindle the love. For me that's a break from commuting and adopting slow (like sub 10mph) rides on the single speed to a coffee shop or pub on a Saturday. Take it easy, pootle about, forget that you are riding and remember what it was like being a kid and using the bike to just get about.
If you can avoid kitting up that might also help, I also find that daunting sometimes...such a faff.

Where as jumping on the ss in jeans and a shirt, for a slow ride for a coffee is very appealing.

Also try to set a ride event with friends, so that you cant talk yourself out if it.

If all that fails, chill. There are no rules of entry, you will always be a cyclist.

Broadside

Guru
Similar advice to going single speed, I recently got a fixed gear bike and it has made rides completely different and fun in a new way. Hills that are simple on a road bike turn you in to a newbie on a fixed gear all over again.

If you enjoyed Ride100 why not sign up for another event so you have a target to aim at?

S-Express

Does anyone have any advice on how i re-ignite my passion for Cycling

I never understand threads like this. It's down to you - nobody else. All I will say is that this is the best possible time of year to cycle, in my opinion. Nobody can force you to do something you don't want to do. Buying a brand new bike was clearly a mistake though.

Top Bottom