Lorry driver left cyclist dying in the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Shocking and from the sound of it callous to the nth degree. Hopefully the jury will make the right judgement!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm not defending the boke's actions but some people are only just holding their sanity and their lives together and can't cope with events at all.

D

Deleted member 26715

If as the report says he walked back to the junction, saw the woman in the road & then made the concious decision to walk away, just astounds me.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm not defending the boke's actions but some people are only just holding their sanity and their lives together and can't cope with events at all.
In which case they shouldn't be driving. If he did indeed go back, see her and then just crack on with his day, I see no reason why he should ever drive again. After a good long spell inside, and a few thousand hours of community service when / if he gets out...

Globalti

Legendary Member
What I meant was that I believe that a very large number of people are actually in a state of permanent near-breakdown and don't exhibit normal reactions to events. Either that or he's a psychopath.

BSRU

A Human Being
I think he should be looking at manslaughter for carrying on as if nothing happened after seeing her lying in the road.

Drago

Legendary Member
If our law made any sense his actions following the collision should be regarded as a major aggravting factor and he should be locked nup for life, assuming the account is correct.

Alex H

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3478163, member: 9609"]First of all, you can throw away both keys (the one for his truck and the one for the cell door) as far as I am concerned.

But is it an offence not to help ? and should the trial just concentrate on whether or not he committed a motoring offence, including leaving the scene of an accident. So as vile and abhorrent as I hope most of us find it, is it a criminal offence to see a seriously injured person lying on the road and do bugger all about it ?[/QUOTE]

The AA says this; which doesn't quite answer your question http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/accidents-and-theft.html

"If you are involved in a road-traffic accident as a driver and one or more of the following occurs:

• a person, other than yourself, is injured
  • damage is caused to another vehicle or to someone else's property - including street lamps, signs, bollards etc.
  • an animal* has been killed or injured, except in your own vehicle or trailer

Then you must:

• stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable period
  • give your vehicle registration number, your name and address, and that of the vehicle owner (if different) to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for those details

If you don't exchange those details at the scene, you must report the accident at a police station or to a police constable as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours.

Reporting the accident to the police by telephone is not sufficient and you cannot ask someone else to report for you.

You're obliged to do these things not only when you are directly involved in an accident, but also if your vehicle's 'presence' was a factor.

Failing to stop and failing to report
If you don't comply with these obligations you risk committing two offences: failing to stop and failing to report, and you can be guilty of either or both. The penalty for each includes a maximum fine of £5,000 and five to ten penalty points. Courts also have the power to disqualify you from driving for either offence and are likely to do so when both offences are committed on the same occasion. Failing to stop or report an accident can carry a maximum of six months' imprisonment.

welshwheels

As a class 1 hgv ADR driver I am ashamed to be classed in the same profession as this guy ! To get back in the truck and carry on !! Really

Top Bottom