Lorry driver 'oblivious' when he hit cyclist in Hessle Road, On trial

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by classic33, 6 Aug 2019.

Tags:
  1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Lorry driver Peter Sanderson, 62, of Bodmin Road, Bransholme, is on trial at Hull Crown Court and denies causing death by careless driving.

A cyclist's last moments were captured on his own GoPro camera as he was hit and killed by a lorry while riding in a cycle lane, a court has heard.

Craig Beharrell, 42, was fatally injured when he struck by an HGV in Hessle Road, west Hull, at 7.35am on July 17, 2017.

"It's not in dispute that the death of Craig Beharrell was the result of this collision. The question for you to decide is whether one of the reasons for the collision happening was that the defendant, Mr Sanderson, was, as we allege, driving without due care and attention; that's to say below the standard expected of a competent and careful driver."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new.../peter-sanderson-craig-beharrell-hull-3180641

Cyclists evidence is their footage of the incident. Not certain how the footage will be viewed legally.

Maybe there will be settlement/closure for the family of the cyclist.

tom73, Slick, Cycleops and 1 other person like this.
  2. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

How can he be driving in a cycle lane if he was indeed driving with due care and attention? Surely one an exclusive of the other?

classic33 likes this.
  3. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Tragic for the poor man and and his family but even more tragic that if found guilty the lorry driver might get three years, out in eighteen months. No justice at all.

4. Slick

Slick Veteran

Blind spot my arse.

classic33, Drago and raleighnut like this.
  5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

How come it has taken 2 years to come to court.

Drago likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    classic33

He, lorry driver, joined from Wiltshire Road. Which side I don't know. Road is a circular one
    a1166.jpg

Slick likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    classic33

Original case adjourned for a fixed date, last year.

Judge David Tremberg told him: "Would you stand, please sir.
    "I'm going to adjourn your case for trial until next year. The reason for that is that this is a case which needs a fixed date."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...s/lorry-driver-peter-sanderson-denies-1949146

Two keys hit, corrected spelling error caused

Last edited: 6 Aug 2019
    raleighnut likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

That's not a terribly long time for a DD or CD case to get to court, never mind a death by.

9. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

According to the report in the paper he was turning left so he would have crossed the cycle path no matter where he emerged.

classic33 likes this.
  10. tom73

tom73 Über Member

It really is a sad state of affairs when one human being believes the life of another human being is worthless.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2019
    Starchivore, raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Shakes my head again. Another reason why I gave up road biking.... MTB. A lad at work does Enduro racing, and won't go near roads..... it's that metal coming at you....

meta lon and raleighnut like this.
  12. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

I see the prosecutor thinks that wearing brightly coloured clothing and wearing a helmet are somehow relevant, and then mentions that it was a clear, sunny day with good visibility. The prosecutor should find a job for which he's better qualified. He just made so many errors with those statements, I don't know where to start refuting them.

deptfordmarmoset and Drago like this.
  13. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Or maybe he's got in 1st and set the recored straight before anyone can start moving blame. He's probably also aware of preconceived views of cycle safety and trying to prevent it from filling jurors heads.

14. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Prosecutors and defence throw mud in the hope of messing up the waters or having some stick. Facts have little to do with that process.

I know a case that was lost because one of the expert witnesses accidentally put 2 x full stops at the end of one sentence in his report. Facts were a mere inconvenience.

Cycleops and Shut Up Legs like this.
  15. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

The prosecutor will have seen a defence case statement, he will also have seen the defendant's police interview, so he will have an idea what the defence is going to be.

He opens his remarks by saying the cyclist did nothing wrong at all in terms of riding his cycle, which suggests the defendant might be intending to say the cyclist darted out in front of his lorry.

The hi-viz remark is largely a sideshow, but it's a positive point for the prosecution so he may as well chuck it in.

It's an adversarial system - a battle - no point in leaving any bullets in the chamber.

Similarly, the hi-viz taken with the helmet suggests to a largely non-cycling jury panel a well-prepared, responsible cyclist.

One, members of the jury might think, who is unlikely to ride his bike in a reckless fashion.

Good seeing conditions, if anything, reinforce the prosecution case because it gives the driver one less excuse for the collision.

I've not heard of this prosecutor, but your suggestion that he is incompetent doesn't stand up on the reported evidence we have.

tom73, burntoutbanger, Slick and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice