Lorry versus Cycle - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TJM01

TJM01

Unfortunately not... but I got a very good description of the lorry, backed up by the car driver - which confirms that it was one of the council refuse lorries. Knowing the exact time and stretch of road I don't think they will struggle to find the driver... if they want to ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Are the police actually investigating, i.e. speaking to the council?

OK, these no win-no fee solicitors advertise in Cycling Plus. I'd call (not email), explain the situation and see if you have any case

www.bikeline.co.uk (0151 348 4400)

However, looking at their website...
What if the other driver is uninsured, or didn't stop?
If your accident has been caused by someone who has driven off, or has given false details and is not traceable, or is uninsured, you can still claim. Your claim will be dealt with by the Motor Insurers' Bureau. The M.I.B. is a body set up to provide a central fund for compensation of victims of accidents involving either uninsured or untraced drivers.

However, the way in which your claim is dealt with (and what you can claim for) is different in each case.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Home/en/default.htm

OP
OP
TJM01

TJM01

Hi Vickster - thanks again... A few people mentioned the MIB and I spoke to them this morning. The lady there was very helpful and said that if I don't have the vehicle & driver details of the lorry then I cant claim for the damage to my bike - but I would be able to claim for injuries. She was very helpful and said that there is a 3yr limit to make a claim and they would get a copy of the hospital records as well as scars to verify the injuries. She was very helpful and seemed to think I would have a case.

I only saw the police on Saturday night, so thought I would give them a few days to contact me about the incident and then I will check whether they are pursuing enquiries. Obviously if I don't hear from them in a few days I will follow it up. TBH I still feel like c**p so want to wait till I feel a bit better then chase it up.

I will definitely call bikeline tomorrow and see what they say too.

Thanks again for all the advice - I really do appreciate it all.

Top Bottom