Loving my new Croix, just not sure about the tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
So I'm now 3 days (and with the current weather a full 4 seasons!) into commuting on my new steed and thoroughly over the moon with my decision to purchase a Croix de Fer 20 – why did I not buy one sooner?!? I guess it's because I'm terrible at making decisions but at least I think I've made the right one here... the Croix really irons out the lumpy rural back roads and whilst not as dynamic as the Trek Madone that I just sold, it's no slouch either. Love it!

However... I'm not a fan of the Continental Cyclocross Speed tyres it came supplied with, but do wonder if the smooth ride is partly down to the Croix's 35C tyres? Since coming off the studded Winters (a pointless exercise again this year) I've been back running 32C Schwalbe Supremes on my Boardman Hybrid recently and was tempted to just get another set of them – possibly even in a 28C size – but don't want to compromise the Croix's smooth ride for the sake of a bit more pace and puncture resistance, which I fear the Contis lack! I do like the Supremes and they are of course also available in 35C but I'm also conscious I haven't really tried much else tyre wise... (my Trek had 25C Durano+ and I had belt'n'braces 25C Marathon+ on the old N-1).

So if you ride a Croix on narrower rubber, is the ride still smooth and refined..? Would you recommend sticking with 35C regardless of tyre choice..?

Booyaa

Veteran
Change them, try them, decide what you prefer. That should help you out.

zaza123

I replaced them with Gator Hardshell 28s and I am very happy with the choice. Not the lightest tyre if you like to read specs but much more grip and confidence on the road and a good level of puncture protection for commuting and every day use.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I replaced them with Gator Hardshell 28s and I am very happy with the choice. Not the lightest tyre if you like to read specs but much more grip and confidence on the road and a good level of puncture protection for commuting and every day use.
Cheers Zaza. I have to say I've not had good experiences with Continental in the past, but Gator Hardshells do keep cropping up in similar threads! I tend to think that whilst weight will make a bit of of a difference, I'm more curious about how opting for a narrower tyre might affect the 'feel' of the Croix. For a daily commuter, I guess puncture resistance is my primary concern (over weight) but I want to retain the feel and speed...

KneesUp

Guru
Wider tyres have less rolling resistance than narrower tyres of the same type, and run at lower pressures and so are more comfortable.

ayceejay

Guru
I don't think anyone would fit Continental Cyclocross Speed tyres for their smoothness because smooth they are not. If you want a robust tyre that will be in keeping with your bike and a lot smoother and quicker than what you have get some Vittoria CX or CG Pave in a 27 - 28

winjim

Smash the cistern
My CdF has so far had on it: 35mm CX tyres (the original tyres), 30mm semi slicks, 25mm Gatorskins and 28mm Vittoria Rubino Pro Techd. The Gators were horrid, the semi slicks are useful for light off roading but the 28mm Rubinos are perfect for road use.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The bundled tyres were absolutely pants for puctures ime. I asked https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/700c-tyre-for-towpaths-and-forest-tracks.166120/ and eneded up with Marathon Supremes (mostly because they were on special at PBK)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've run with the Speeds at 80psi and they lasted just over a year for me. Then I switched to Conti 4 seasons in 28s and run those at about 90psi. Slightly less comfortable due to the extra puncture protection and thicker sidewalls but they will last longer.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I run my Trek Portland (aluminium frame but otherwise in much the same vein as a CdF) on 28mm Marathons (max clearance on the frame for 35mm, guards fitted so can't go beyond 32mm without rubbing). Runs pretty smoothly to me.... Marathon Supremes were good but not as long lasting (faster compound so I expected that). Might try Durano+ on there next, nothing but praise for the 25mms on my roadies.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I run my Trek Portland (aluminium frame but otherwise in much the same vein as a CdF) on 28mm Marathons (max clearance on the frame for 35mm, guards fitted so can't go beyond 32mm without rubbing). Runs pretty smoothly to me.... Marathon Supremes were good but not as long lasting (faster compound so I expected that). Might try Durano+ on there next, nothing but praise for the 25mms on my roadies.

I'm switching to 32s in Marathon Plus this week (hopefully, could only find one in the shops). My 4seasons got pretty slashed up on thursday morning.

Top Bottom