Low carb diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
jimboalee said:
Typical Jimbo brunch :-

3 eggs, 2 sausages and a big thick slice of black pudding.

Typical Jimbo lunch :-

Protopure bar, Choc-chip cookie flavour.

Typical Jimbo dinner :-

Chicken Jalfrezi - No rice, no naan.

;)

What is a protopure bar? Is it something you can carry around with you?
I can imagine that on a day out, a low carb diet might be difficult to stick to.

Chicken Jalfrezi, lovely, with extra vegetables I take it?:wacko:

Less carbs is how I lost weight and in particular, no more bread. All bets off if I eat bread. Ricecackes suffice for me now. I eat more carbs before a big day but that's about it.

jimboalee

I said this is 'typical'. The little shop in the canteen sells small packets of dried fruit.

Check out Holland and Barrett for Protopure bars. 32g Protein, 1g Sugar.
It is NOT chocolate, which is good for me because I have an allergy for the cocoa stuff. They also have a laxative effect built in. 4 per week is enough.

They come at about £1.75 ish each, but they ARE a 'meal replacement' for strength athletes.

They ARE very nice.......:biggrin:

peanut

Speicher said:
I think that in the deep recesses of my brain, there may be a memory of doing that side-stroke. The disadvantage to breast stroke is that I tend to hold my head clear of the water, thus putting strain on the upper part of my back. However, when I do back-stroke, I tend to put a lot of effort into it, and if I collide with someone, we both might feel it quite hard.

My physio suggested not using breast stroke because of the sudden whiplash movement in the stroke when kicking and lifting the head
All the people I have ever seen breast stoking have the most beautifully smooth movements . In fact some have looked like sheer poetry in motion :biggrin: I could watch them for hours.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have been making adjustments to my diet to cut down on the carbohydrates, and have already noticed a difference in my energy levels.
Did anyone else notice this, or is it a coincidence?

I am also planning ahead more, carrots and lentils to make soup.
My packed lunch on Friday will contain tuna and carrots, with nuts and raisins for "dessert" or nibbles instead of the crisps that are available.

I had curry tonight, no potatoes, nibbled carrots instead of bread and butter :biggrin::ohmy: while preparing the meal, and pineapple (fresh) for pudding.

I intend to look into this more closely, but can anyone tell me - are nuts counted as protein. I know there is fat in them but I thought that was the good fat, cannot remember if that is saturated or unsaturated.

BTW had some chocolate this evening, and it tasted strange. ;)
I have also realised I might be a very heavy drinker :biggrin: - two stone overweight. :ohmy:

peanut

its a hard road you're travelling ;) good luck from one who has been there and come back.
The nuts to avoid are salted peanuts.
Its a good idea to carry a nibbles bag with you at all times just in case temptation comes along. You can add sunflower seeds which are very tasty.

Cutting carbs will give you low energy levels at first especially if you are cutting down on fats as well. You'll notice it most in the morning when you haven't eaten for 12 hours or so and your blood glucose levels are at their lowest.

This is a good time to have a cooked b'fast or porridge for slow sustained energy release.

Good sources of oils are oily fish sardines, mackrell, pilchards etc but make sure you get them in brine and not oil.

Baked beans are very high protein source but probably best washed of tomatoe sauce :biggrin: butter beans are nice and filling as are bolotti beans and chick peas

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have found that some baked beans are called "lower sugar, lower salt" but is that still not low enough?

I would imagine that homemade soups are better than tinned, because you can cut down on the salt in them. I am doing this gradually. I still have my porridge for breakfast, but am making changes during the rest of the day.

I do not mind just losing two pounds a week, as long as I can see a steady loss, and feel that I am eating healthily, rather than "dieting".

peanut

two lbs a week is a lot .;) i'll be surprised if you can keep that up for long. You are doing all the right things . Its really helpful to keep a food diary with the calories. You can see where you need to make changes at a glance.
Heinz baked beans are fabulous I practically live on them but they are 150 cals per half tin :biggrin:
Most tinned soups are about 300 cals per can so you should save lots making your own soups. They are much nicer too.

I just made a good find. Asda Irish stew is very very thick and tasty almost a meal in itself and only 200 cals per can

colly

Re member eR
Speicher said:
I have been making adjustments to my diet to cut down on the carbohydrates, and have already noticed a difference in my energy levels.
Did anyone else notice this, or is it a coincidence?

I am also planning ahead more, carrots and lentils to make soup.
My packed lunch on Friday will contain tuna and carrots, with nuts and raisins for "dessert" or nibbles instead of the crisps that are available.

I had curry tonight, no potatoes, nibbled carrots instead of bread and butter :biggrin::ohmy: while preparing the meal, and pineapple (fresh) for pudding.

I intend to look into this more closely, but can anyone tell me - are nuts counted as protein. I know there is fat in them but I thought that was the good fat, cannot remember if that is saturated or unsaturated.

BTW had some chocolate this evening, and it tasted strange. ;)
I have also realised I might be a very heavy drinker :biggrin: - two stone overweight. :ohmy:

Do you mean you have more energy or less?

I can't say I noticed any difference when I cut out most of the carbs. I was eating but did notice pretty soon that I lost a slight craving that I had for breakfast cereals (or toast) when I first woke up.
In fact on a couple of eggs I found it easy to get to lunchtime without thinking of a mid morning snack.

peanut

I think there is a period when the body reacts to the new food regime but then consistantly healthy foods should start to make you feel better.
I think the most difficult part of this is trying to make it a lifestyle which we can carry on with otherwise eventually it is easy to slip back into less exercise and poor eating habits again.

jimboalee

Saturated fat – single chain hydrocarbon solid at room temperature. Eg Lard.

Poly saturated fat – Blend of hydrocarbons solid at room temperature. Eg Margarine.

Mono unsaturaded – Single chain hydrocarbon attached to a Methyl, liquid at room temperature. Eg Seed oils, Olive oils.

Poly unsaturated – Double chain HC & Methyl, liquid at room temperature. Eg Fish oil.

Simple Carbs – C6H12O6, Glycagon, Glycogen, starch, cellulose sugars etc.

Complex Carbs – Multiple chain Carbohydrates. Whole grains.

Really complex Carbs – Holley Street Avenger. :smile::laugh::smile::laugh::biggrin:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
From that Jimboalee, I take it that un-saturated fats are the "good" fats, in moderation. So where does proper butter come in that equation? Butter as opposed to it's many poor and tasteless imitations. I do not use a lot of butter, perhaps in a sponge pudding once a week. I have adjusted to sandwiches (with wholegrain bread) without butter, and also given up buttered toast.:ohmy:

Any fat that is solid at room temperature is a saturated fat and best avoided. This includes thinks like palm oil.

Butter is better for you than margarine, but still not good for you.

I've got to cut out the bread and butter too....

Top Bottom