Low carb diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

jimboalee said:
I'm riding a 200km on Wednesday.

Start at 06:00 and arrive at first control ( Stratford U Avon ) at 07:15.
Won't eat anything until Stratford and then something more at Stow.
Back to Stratford for lunch and then on to Measham - 3 1/2 hour stage - for tea.
After Measham, home.

The whole ride says 3800 kCals.
I'll try to eat 3000 kCals. 1000 the evening before and 2000 during the ride.

Mainly iced cakes and pastries, with a meat sandwich for lunch.

The remaining 800 kCals will be 'Low carb'.
Discuss....

I cant tork athamoment cos ithgot mi marf fullov carbs innit:biggrin:

I'd say you got it all the wrong way round . Eat the slow release stuff first before you ride like fats meat sausages porridge etc and the quick energy release stuff like cakes and biscuits during and after the ride when you need lots of immediate energy

You'll get no nutritional benefit from the meat sandwich until several hours after eating it and it will be very little .
Better to eat jam sandwiches or honey and chocs mid day

yello

I thought carb mid ride was traditional wisdom but, a few weeks back, our club did a 'restaurant ride' (so popular, it's to become a regular feature). The lunch menu wasn't particularly varied and I ended up eating rather a lot of meat (anyone that's dined in France will know they don't skimp on the meat portion). The single 'energy boost' intake came from a chocolate mousse.

I didn't half feel strong in the afternoon - all that protein did something!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yello said:
I thought carb mid ride was traditional wisdom but, a few weeks back, our club did a 'restaurant ride' (so popular, it's to become a regular feature). The lunch menu wasn't particularly varied and I ended up eating rather a lot of meat (anyone that's dined in France will know they don't skimp on the meat portion). The single 'energy boost' intake came from a chocolate mousse.

I didn't half feel strong in the afternoon - all that protein did something!

Interesting...
In Russia last week, the diet was very meat heavy compared to my normal intake. I found I felt less hungry, less sleepy post meals and inbetween, less inclined to snack.
Protein is very satiating, and slow energy release (c/w carbs) and generates less insulin fluctuation, so there maybe good reason for your experience.

Usain bolt won his medals on a diet of McNuggets. maybe it's time to re-write the established creed on diet and sport.

jimboalee

The meat sandwich, and maybe quick fried bacon and egg at a roadside mobile cafe is what I've been doing for years.

Summer Sundays, I will ride a 200km Calendar ride, or a 300 km Permanent ( starting at sunrise ) and then go dancing with my GF on the evening.

Supper on the previous evening might be 16 oz of lean mince in a giant Lasagne.

:smile:

yello

You can start a 300 at sunrise and be back for evening... that's shifting! Think I'm going to be having bacon butties from now on!

peanut

jimboalee said:
The meat sandwich, and maybe quick fried bacon and egg at a roadside mobile cafe is what I've been doing for years.

Summer Sundays, I will ride a 200km Calendar ride, or a 300 km Permanent ( starting at sunrise ) and then go dancing with my GF on the evening.

Supper on the previous evening might be 16 oz of lean mince in a giant Lasagne.

:laugh:

well you seem to be pretty set with your current eating regime so why are you wasting out time asking for nutritional advice ?:biggrin:

jimboalee

Yup, in the middle of summer, I can start off at 04:00 in the earie dawn. 310 km and 15 1/2 hours later, at an average speed of 20 kmh, I can be back home, showered and dressed for a 21:00 boogie at the local pub.

I must be doing something right, 'cus I haven't collapsed with exhaustion yet!

I lie. I did collapse once in 2000 on a 160km Audax from Earlswood village hall, via Banbury, Stow and another place I forget. The memory of Edge Hill at 34 Deg C air temp is engraved on my brain, so from then on, I calculate my requirement and eat WELL.

20kmh = 12.5mph is a slowish average for an AUK Brevet. The speed limits are 15 - 30 kmh, so I am below average expectation for AUK regulations.
There are not many AUK Randonneurs who go to the extent of Gel packs, energy bars and special energy drinks. There a many AUK Randonneurs who finish before me. Cakes, buns, cakes, buns and more cakes.

Many AUK controls are at Patisseries, cafes or bakeries, because that's what they like.

I'm more in favour of a big bacon, sausage and egg sandwich. One where the chef cuts the loaf lengthways ;).

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Theories are fine, but sometimes you just have to eat what you want. On the Northern Dales 200 from Arnside I always tried to make it round and back to Devil's Bridge at Kirby Lonsdale before the tea van closed, as the best pick me up for final dash to the finish was a bacon butty and mug of tea.

Theory says it's all wrong, but after a day of sweet, sickly things, a load of grease and tommy sauce was like a energy bolt from Zeus himself.

yello

I won't disagree with the timings, maybe it's the definitions of morning and evening that I'd contest.. 4am is the middle of the bleddy night and 9pm ain't evening in my book :biggrin:

peanut

yello said:
I won't disagree with the timings, maybe it's the definitions of morning and evening that I'd contest.. 4am is the middle of the bleddy night and 9pm ain't evening in my book :biggrin:

these audax'ers are bluddy nutters all of em :smile: 500 km one day hilly audax and they are thinking of increasing it this year to 600km to make it more challenging.:smile:

Eating savoury food for energy is purely psycological as it takes the body hours to process it and reap any energy from a meat meal.

Fab Foodie said:
Interesting...
In Russia last week, the diet was very meat heavy compared to my normal intake. I found I felt less hungry, less sleepy post meals and inbetween, less inclined to snack.
Protein is very satiating, and slow energy release (c/w carbs) and generates less insulin fluctuation, so there maybe good reason for your experience.

GI diet is very firm about a steady intake of protein throughout the day, for the reasons you outline above.

Top Bottom