Low carb diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Speicher said:
I have also realised I might be a very heavy drinker :ohmy: - two stone overweight. ;)
Hrmm not sure if you're kidding, but booze is full of calories - both from the alcohol and the carbs (at least in pints). If i'm after loosing weight I generally cut it right out or at least down very heavily.

Other thing is switch to shorts or wine, which at least just has the cals from the alcohol and almost no sugar. That said some beers are pretty low on them too, noticed one of the real ales the co-op are carrying atm has only 2g carbs a 500ml bottle and 155 kcals, but mostly it's much higher and your looking at 200-250 kcals.

Think 2lbs a week is fine, at least it was for me living on my own and therefore can control 100% what's in the fridge. More than that I think you might be loosing too fast, but whatever suits the individual.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes I was kidding. My weekly alcohol intake these days might amount to two measures of spirits, and perhaps a medium bottle of beer, like Leffe Blond. Sometimes less than that :biggrin:. I have cut out the fizzy drinks, but some reason like a Coca Cola about once a fortnight.

:ohmy: I do have full fat milk in my coffee.;)

If my target is one pound a week, and I lose two pounds a week, that would be good. As I am starting from very little exercise each week, and gradually increasing it, that should boost the weight loss. I am determined not to overdo it at Christmas. This should be easy this year, as I am at home and able to more easily control the available goodies of the edible variety. I do like mince pies however, but suppose that once I have lost the weight, really I could have those at any time of year.

jimboalee

Go to thread "Its Genetics too".:biggrin:

Bread and dripping was widely available in 1948. That's about what was breakfast for them lot in the photo before a thirty miler from Shirley to Stratford and back to Henley for an ice cream.

Money was short, so they did what they could. It was Saturday's loaf and dripping from last Sunday's shoulder of pork.

As my Mum very often told me. ;)

I couldn't stand the stuff, so had fried bread in butter. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I could do the fried bread bit, with bacon. :biggrin:

And the ice cream. BTW which is the best ice cream shop in Henley in Arden?

I found a tin of smoked kippers, half of which I had for my lunch.;)
Perhaps frozen ones would be better, well I would defrost them first, as then they would not be in oil. If I eat up the "oily" stuff in the cupboard I can replace it the next time I do shopping, and get the more healthy stuff.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jimboalee said:
Saturated fat – single chain hydrocarbon solid at room temperature. Eg Lard.

Poly saturated fat – Blend of hydrocarbons solid at room temperature. Eg Margarine.

Mono unsaturaded – Single chain hydrocarbon attached to a Methyl, liquid at room temperature. Eg Seed oils, Olive oils.

Poly unsaturated – Double chain HC & Methyl, liquid at room temperature. Eg Fish oil.

Simple Carbs – C6H12O6, Glycagon, Glycogen, starch, cellulose sugars etc.

Complex Carbs – Multiple chain Carbohydrates. Whole grains.

Really complex Carbs – Holley Street Avenger. ;):laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh god...

OK, fats and Carbs 101.

"Fats or oils" as we know then are made up of 2 connected bits, a fatty acid chain joined to a glycerol molecule. The glycerol molecule may have 1, 2 or 3 fatty acid chains attached making-up either mono, do or tri-glycerides. arguably a monoglyceride is a straight hydrocarbon chain but all the rest are branched. The fatty acids chains may be as short as 4 carbon atoms long (common in butter) up to 22 (more common in fish-oils) generally.

If the fatty acid chain has it's full compliment of Hydrogen atoms then it is called "Saturated", Beef fat, FULLY Hydrogenated fats it can however and have a double bond between carbon atoms in its chain and thius is said to be unsaturated or Mono-unsaturated if 1 double bond. 2 or more Double bonds in the chain are Poly-unsaturated. Olive Oil, nut oils, bird fats even lard have significant mono-unsaturates, sunflower and rape et al are polyunsaturated, Fish oils are highly unsaturated.
More unsaturation, less stability. Unsaturated fats can be hardened by Hydrogenation which removes the double bond making the chains more saturated. (BTW, point of order here FULLY HYDROGENATED FATS DO NOT CONTAIN TRANS_FATS, only PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED)... Sorry.

Now, with me so far, remember the Tri-glyceride, this is the most natural form of fat 1 glcerol + 3 fatty acids. The fatty acids can be a mix of saturated, monounsaturated or polyunsaturated, It's a complex business. You can also harden a fat by mixing the fatty acid chains around, stick 'em all onto a glycerol backbone and remove all the unsaturated ones and hey presto, hard fat!

Ok enough about fats.

Carbs.
Carbs are either simple sugars, "simple polymers" of simple sugars or Complex polymers of simple sugars.

Simple sugars; Glucose/Dextrose, Sucrose, lactose, Fructose, Maltose

Simple Polymers; Poly-dextrose, Maltodextrin, simple starches, Glycogen

Complex Carbs; Some starches, Cellulose (damned indigestible but simply structured), fibres, gums, Algins, Lignins/woody tissues etc.

Glucose is interesting, in shorts simple chain linked we get simple starches (Plant energy store) and Glycogen (Animal energy store) these are relatively easily broken down and have a rapid energy release. Join Glucose molecules another way and you get almost indistructable Cellulose. Other plant fibre material can be a bit starch and a bit cellulose-like and can be termed resistant starches 'cos they're almost impossible to break down.

peanut

Twenty Inch said:
Any fat that is solid at room temperature is a saturated fat and best avoided. This includes thinks like palm oil.

Butter is better for you than margarine, but still not good for you.

I've got to cut out the bread and butter too....

why give up butter ? its a natural healthy product. Providing you haven't got a dairy product intolerance why give it up?

Do you intend to give up butter for the rest of your life ? and never eat it again?
I made the same decision about 10 years ago and recently I too realised that my yo-yo weight has been because I give certain things up until I lose weight then I gradually start to eat them again because I enjoy eating them:sad:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I made some soup this evening for lunch on Saturday and Sunday. One slice of bacon, lentils, chicken stock, one small potato, herbs, ginger (grated, in vinegar), no salt other than what is in the Oxo cube.

Plenty of fruit in the fridge, so this week should kick start things well.

jimboalee

Oh Fab Foodie, that told me :smile: .

What you neglected to say was EVERTHING in my post was bullshit.

As you should be aware, every man and his dog will know that the MOST complex carbs are the four twin Webers on a Ferarri 308.

:smile::laugh::smile::laugh:B):laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yello

My brother used to go on about twin throat webers. He was fat. I understand why now.

Edit: No I don't. As much as I try to understand this sort of stuff, talk of tri-glicerides etc just has the effect of making my eyes glaze over (is that a side effect?). I like to read Dr Briffa's web pages because I find him often relatively simple to follow but even then I find myself becoming depressed with my lack of understanding and reaching for a slab of complex carbohydrate.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yello said:
My brother used to go on about twin throat webers. He was fat. I understand why now.

Edit: No I don't. As much as I try to understand this sort of stuff, talk of tri-glicerides etc just has the effect of making my eyes glaze over (is that a side effect?). I like to read Dr Briffa's web pages because I find him often relatively simple to follow but even then I find myself becoming depressed with my lack of understanding and reaching for a slab of complex carbohydrate.

I know it's not everybodies cup of tea, but I just wanted to get the facts straighter!

jimboalee

I'm riding a 200km on Wednesday.

Start at 06:00 and arrive at first control ( Stratford U Avon ) at 07:15.
Won't eat anything until Stratford and then something more at Stow.
Back to Stratford for lunch and then on to Measham - 3 1/2 hour stage - for tea.
After Measham, home.

The whole ride says 3800 kCals.
I'll try to eat 3000 kCals. 1000 the evening before and 2000 during the ride.

Mainly iced cakes and pastries, with a meat sandwich for lunch.

The remaining 800 kCals will be 'Low carb'.
Discuss....

Top Bottom