Low-cost Di2 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Nice project, how is the Brompton coming on?
Your new here. Never mention the Br****on. It’s in a dark place.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Nice project, how is the Brompton coming on?
Your new here. Never mention the Br****on. It’s in a dark place.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Poor little Brompton... I've popped by the lbs several times recently and it's still sat in the corner of the workshop waiting for its seatpost sleeve :smile: Makes very little difference to me at the moment as the Di2 junction / display still isnt here :sad::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Quick update - the seatpost battery mount arrived so I popped that in this evening, greased the seatpost and reassembled...

It's looking like a bike again, it's amazing how much difference a saddle and seatpost makes :laugh: I took a few more photos before I put it away again... Heres the under-stem junction box mounted on a steerer spacer bracket - the alternative is strapping it to the stem which I always thought was a bit of a bodge. She had lots of spacers in already so I just replaced one of the 5mm ones which means geometry is unaffected :okay:

Here are the brakes in closeup... Front with shiny Bianchi badge :laugh:

And rear...

And heres a closeup of the shiny new cassette and used rear mech...

And a front view. It's shaping up to be a great bike!

The Di2 cables and bar tape are both due to arrive tomorrow, all being well I may get it finished tomorrow evening :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
All finished, bar a test ride :okay: Cables installed to the lh shifter and rear mech then bar tape wrapped and the new chain fitted...

I think it looks rather splendid, I'm looking forward to the test ride to find out how much it has improved things for my wife - hopefully it has made a big difference :becool: I'm not sure she is as excited as I am about it, I got a funny look when I told her I was just updating her firmware :wacko::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
We went for a ride this morning around a local reservoir. It's made a big improvement, and she's now able to use both brakes and shifters on the hoods and in the drops :okay: Haven't even had to play around with the synchroshift options so I'll just leave it in normal mode until she's fully used to it before we mess around with it anymore :laugh:

I have just ordered some M4 x 16mm grub screws to have a play with the lever reach - I've got the standard adjustment screws bottomed out so I'm interested to see if I can get any further reach improvements with a longer screw 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Quick update to this thread. The bike has been getting lots of use on the turbo trainer over the last few weeks and today we went out on the road together for a short ride :smile: She was still struggling a little with the lever reach so this evening I've had a play with the grub screws I received a while back and forgot about :blush:

Heres a comparison of the standard reach screw and the replacement...

Here's one of the new grub screws fitted to a lever...

Fits a treat and has improved the adjustment available significantly - first picture is with the standard screw bottomed out, second is with the new grub screw fitted and the lever adjusted further in.

There's still further adjustment possible but I'll leave it like this for now and see how she gets on :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Is this your wife’s first road bike John?

I bought her a really cheap one the year before this one but it was heavy and uncomfortable. She used it a few times on the turbo but we never went out on the road with it. This is the first road bike she's ridden outdoors and used for any length of time :okay: I don't think she realises quite how nice it is but that's ok :laugh:

DSK

That's a pretty nifty spec you have achieved on a popular bike. I like the colour scheme too and hope the hard work is appreciated.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
That's a pretty nifty spec you have achieved on a popular bike. I like the colour scheme too and hope the hard work is appreciated.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with it :okay: When MrsB got back from work this evening she said, unprompted, that she's really enjoying using the bike on the turbo trainer 😊 It's being ridden indoors 3 or 4 times a week at the moment and when her confidence improves on the roads I can see it getting fairly regular use outdoors too :okay: If she decides it's not for her we'll move it on to a new home but I think I'd get in trouble if I mentioned that option at the moment :laugh:

DSK

With the upgrades and condition, the right buyer will always come along appreciating the love, however I hope she likes it and is able to enjoy it.

Top Bottom