Low Level races?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thompson

I'm wanting to start racing and I was told that I should start with some low level races. I'm just ondering where I can find these races and how to enter? Also, what defines a low level race? I'm going to enter a local 9 mile time trial as my first race, but it isn't a proper offical one. Like, you don't need a license to enter.

Basically, what type of racing license do you think is best? And anything anyone knows about 'low-level' races would be helpful.

Thanks, Thompson :biggrin:

zizou

Veteran
The easiest (and most sensible) thing to do is join a club if you are not already a member of one. This will help with the skills that are needed plus the bigger clubs will often also do APR races (basically handicap racing with groups set off at different times) as training, this is the lowest level of a semi organised race. They will also run club time trials too. You wont need a racing license for either of the things.

In terms of open entry events then for a beginner go with a silver one - that will be a provisional race license so if you win a race you wont get the points, however you will be allowed to enter races, be covered for insurance etc. Its cheaper doing it this way and seeing if racing is for you before getting a full license.

You could also try a Go-Ride race i dont think you need a license for that - however the provision of these events is a bit patchy, some parts of the country have lots of them some have virtually none.

Buddfox

Veteran
Once you're a member of British Cycling, get hold of the event calendar (not sure if it's on the website, they send you a quarterly guide in the post once you join) and you can find the events happening near to where you are. But do join a club first and get some experience riding in a group etc. it will benefit not just you but also avoids crashes with other riders.

oldroadman

Veteran
Once you're a member of British Cycling, get hold of the event calendar (not sure if it's on the website, they send you a quarterly guide in the post once you join) and you can find the events happening near to where you are. But do join a club first and get some experience riding in a group etc. it will benefit not just you but also avoids crashes with other riders.

+1. You can't just dive in (seriously a lack of skills will make you a menace to yourself and everyone else), join a decent club and learn first. It will pay off and make the first race experience much more rewarding.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You can do it, there is no mechanism to stop you,
There isn't, and that to a certain point is a problem - but not for every new racer signing on.

but it is not advisable
By whom?

and the very fact that there is no mechanism to stop people jumping in with zero experience of anything even remotely similar
How can you gain race experience without racing? A sunday club ride really isn't the same thing.

is a large contributing factor to the number of stackings in Cat 4 races.
That's really a lack of common sense and sprinting for 39th position kind of stupidity that comes along with that.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There isn't, and that to a certain point is a problem - but not for every new racer signing on.

Of course, you will always get some that are naturally good, but many are not. Those that are not is a significant number. The problem is not just for the new racer either, it is for those around them.

Those who value the safety of fellow racers, old and new.

How can you gain race experience without racing? A sunday club ride really isn't the same thing.

I didn't say race experience, I said people lacking in experience of anything remotely similar, i.e. chaingangs and other training rides where speed skills are developed.

That's really a lack of common sense and sprinting for 39th position kind of stupidity that comes along with that.

That is also a contributor.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Of course, you will always get some that are naturally good, but many are not. Those that are not is a significant number. The problem is not just for the new racer either, it is for those around them.
The problem is a general one. Experienced riders cause pile-ups too.

Those who value the safety of fellow racers, old and new.
I value my own safety too. If I don't want to take the risks associated with racing - nobody is forcing me to sign on.

I didn't say race experience, I said people lacking in experience of anything remotely similar, i.e. chaingangs and other training rides where speed skills are developed.
I'd done relatively little of either before signing on for the first time. I don't get this "can't dive right in" nonsense. I have no problem getting groups together for rides these days, I assume i'm doing something right overall..

With regards to the OP though: Probably advisable to not jump right in. To say it can't be done though, is slightly out of touch.

oldroadman

Veteran
Mr TMH is a very fortunate person to have managed to acquire the skills necessary so quickly. However, learning to ride properly is best done in a safer situation than just "diving in" (a quote) because there's a good chance of doing just that, only the dive will end up with a slide along a less forgiving surface than water. If anyone wants to damage themselves that's fine, just do it solo and don't involve other people, show them some respect by being humble enough to realise that learning is a graduated process. I've seen enough lower category races in the last few years to believe that there are a number of fit people who "dive in" without any idea of peloton protocol and generally how to ride skillfully, although they may have the physical ability to roll round, there is a lot more to racing than that.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Time trialling- turn up on a bike (almost any bike will do) at your local club's evening 10, pay a couple of quid and see how you like it, then hang around the clubhouse and drink tea. Even if you don't like it much it is a good way to find out what other races are on and who is riding what. Local club websites will often have details of where and when their events are held.

Road racing- somewhat harder to get started but in some areas there are local leagues where there might be a training/coaching session before the season or similar. It helps to join a club, ride with others, find out who races and ask around. Those riders who race may have their own fast club run/ chain gang organised.

Cyclocross- pretty easy to get started (but difficult to get good) and generally welcoming to newcomers and largely hopeless riders like me, you can ride a mountain bike if you don't have a cross bike or some other road-type bike with clearance for a fattish tyre. Some areas have summer leagues but in most places you'll have to wait until September/ October when the season starts. Usually entry on line, you'll pay extra if you don't have a racing license but having one isn't necessary to get started.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Even proper time trials don't require a license. You can send off your entry and ride alongside pro cyclists and fat old blokes. The hardest part about getting started is learning how to fill in the CTT form. The usual way to find out more is by riding club events, if you get the bug you'll want to take if further and find out more.

Good luck with that 9 mile event. Don't forget to post your time on here.

Top Bottom