low light helmet cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Does anyone know of a helmet cam that works well in very low light? I want to cycle around some business parks in the evening, recording the companies who leave their lights on when there's nobody working, for a local campaign.

thomas

the tank engine
why not just use a camcorder that is good at night and do static videos, rather than cycling around?

Plus, I think a lot of businesses will leave lights on for CCTV reasons.

thomas

the tank engine
Yellow Fang said:
Because if you walk around a business park at night with a camcorder you'll get stopped by a security guard.

So? Tell them you have a right to film there, either bugger off or phone the police.

I assume the pavements/road network is not privately owned? A security guard might still come ask what you're doing even with a helmet camera.

The good low light cameras do cost a bit though. I think one of the sony cameras does well.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irwZbdysTns&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FWheelyGoodFun&feature=player_profilepage

It's a Sony HQR camera from Dogcam sports.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Using a camcorder at night you will get you a visit from the police, you could be a terrorist and if your luck enough it may be a "armed response team" ...."But I’m only taking photos of companys with their lights on" ....yeah right....

thomas

the tank engine
numbnuts said:
Using a camcorder at night you will get you a visit from the police, you could be a terrorist and if your luck enough it may be a "armed response team" ...."But I’m only taking photos of companys with their lights on" ....yeah right....

I bet a million pounds I can walk around my local industrial estate, at night, with a video camera...without:

A) getting arrested
xx( having a problem with the police
C) getting shot by an armed response team.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
No, but you are quite likely to get stopped by a security guard.

Anyway, a Sony HQR is a bit dear for me. Are there any cheaper helmet cams that work adequately at night? I don't need a lot of record time or brilliant picture quality.

thomas

the tank engine
Yellow Fang said:
No, but you are quite likely to get stopped by a security guard.

Anyway, a Sony HQR is a bit dear for me. Are there any cheaper helmet cams that work adequately at night? I don't need a lot of record time or brilliant picture quality.

My new muvi micro shows lights on at night quite well. I don't have a video to show you though...

Low light won't be amazing though.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
I have a relatively low res bullet cam (420). It actually works reasonably well in low light - and I'm talking normal street lighting here. What you do lose is the colour.
Here's some footage:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksScLQQ51wU

Top Bottom