Low Stress Route from London Euston - London Victoria?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
After a bit of local knowledge from the Londoners on the board, really.

Will be travelling shortly after 9am, with Mrs Monkey (who isn't a city rider) from London Euston to London Victoria railway stations.

We've looked up the route recommended on the TfL website - anything we should watch out for/avoid, or is there a better route we could follow?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It may seem counter-intuitive, but I would stick to the main roads. They have bus lanes almost the whole way and these protect you to a great extent. The main routes are wider and have better visibility. Side roads have cabbies rushing around, parked cars and delivery drivers.

Ride behind the missus and keep a bit out into the road to protect her.

If you want a main road route, ride west along the Euston Road, turn left and go down Baker Street, right onto Oxford St, left at Marble Arch and down Park Lane. Prob best to get off and walk around Hyde Park Corner, not good for someone who isn't confident (But great fun for those of us who like that kind of thing....)
Third exit on HPC roundabout, then left at the end, round the one way and you're there....

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Perhaps a more scenic route, not necessarily the most direct though:

west along euston road, left down baker street, straight over oxford street, round grovesnor sq, down mount street to berkely square, down berkely street to picadilly, through green park to the mall, then along buvk palace road to victoria....

Dan B

Disengaged member
THe caveat here is that I know most of these roads and there are quite a lot of zigzags: if you're not familiar with the area you might be better off sticking to the more major roads. That said, I would probably go:

Southampton Row, Torrington Place (you don't have to use the cycle path, the road is usually pretty clear), zag right/left over tottenham court road, new cavendish st all the way down to Maryelebone High St, zag left/right onto George St, as far as Edgware Rd. If you are reasonably confident at finding yuor way around, cross Edgeware Rd and use the wiggly small streets (I think Portsea Place is the one you want, though I can't picture it in my head) down to Stanhope Place and into Hyde Park. DOwn to Hyde Park Corner, cross through middle of roundabout and rejoin road on far side, then take first exit down Grosvenor Place, left Lower Grosvenor Place and sooner or later along that road you'll see the station.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Another good route would be west along euston road, left into gower street. all the way to the end, bit of a right left until u get to st martins lane. all the way down through covent garden until u get to trafalgar square, then along the mall to buck house and victoria...

MikeMc

Über Member
I would suggest, as your wife is not used to cycling in London, is going for a quick cup of coffee then walking the 300m to Euston Square tube station and, since it will then be past the 09:30 limit for such a thing, take the bikes on the circle line to Victoria.

pinkkaz

Veteran
Definitely avoid Oxford St whatever you do (unless just crossing over)! It's absolutely clogged with buses and taxis and takes hours to go down it (unless you do scary dangerous swerving in and out etc).

Agree with sticking with main roads/bus lanes though.

Just looked at the tfl route and that looks pretty good to me, although personally I think I'd do:

gower st - bloomsbury st - shaftesbury avenue - charing cross road - trafalgar sq - the mall - buckingham palace road

Just because it's easier to remember.

joolsybools

Try putting in your start and end in the walk it website http://www.walkit.com/cities/?welcome and see what that brings up. Also get hold of the cnetral London cycle route map from TFL - these highlight 'busyer' routes too although you might not agree with all of their definitions. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11682.aspx (these might take a while to come though)

+1 to following some of the more major routes but its really what you feel comfortable with, especially if you are with a less experienced city rider. Allow lots of time so you don't put yourselves under uneccessary pressure.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You could also try-- Come out of Euston into Eversholt Street, across the Euston Road-Woburn place-Russell Square-Southampton Row-The kingsway, around the Aldwych-Along the Strand to Trafalgar Square, straight across and up the Mall to Buckingham palace, bear right, Buckingham Gate- Buckingham Palace road brings you out by Victoria station. It sounds a long way, but should take about 30 mins. ish.

Twanger

Über Member
coruskate said:
THe caveat here is that I know most of these roads and there are quite a lot of zigzags: if you're not familiar with the area you might be better off sticking to the more major roads. That said, I would probably go:

Southampton Row, Torrington Place (you don't have to use the cycle path, the road is usually pretty clear), zag right/left over tottenham court road, new cavendish st all the way down to Maryelebone High St, zag left/right onto George St, as far as Edgware Rd. If you are reasonably confident at finding yuor way around, cross Edgeware Rd and use the wiggly small streets (I think Portsea Place is the one you want, though I can't picture it in my head) down to Stanhope Place and into Hyde Park. DOwn to Hyde Park Corner, cross through middle of roundabout and rejoin road on far side, then take first exit down Grosvenor Place, left Lower Grosvenor Place and sooner or later along that road you'll see the station.

+1.

Straight across Edgeware road it's into Kendall street and then left into, as you said, Portsea place. Watch out for peds in Hyde Park.

(edit)

...and you can drop into Cavendish cycles in New Cavendish street and pick up the excellent TFL cycling in central london map. Free.

Top Bottom