Low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Maybe I shouldn't be saying this on here but....
How low is low ?
On Beta Blockers to control me heart rate.
Anti-depressants have been double strengthed to keep me "flat lined" and I feel shoot.
Don't laugh at anything I think is funny anymore, but then again, I don't go downhill.
I can't get out on me bike 'cos I have black out spells, not clever on a busy road.
I'm just pissed off with the whole situation..
I'm not after sympathy, I just wanted to let people know how I feel to clear my conscience/mind a bit.
I thank you

simoncc

What bike have you got and how much do you want for it?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Elmer

Sounds like you’re as low as you can get! Maybe not such a bad thing…

Nearly 2 years ago I was in exactly the same state, on Beta blockers, doped up to the eyeballs on a shed-load of anti-depressants, having to quit ciggies and to cap it all finding out I was loosing my job as well as my marbles.
Felt shell-shocked, inert, numb…it was nice for a while in some ways, not really a care in the world, no desire to give a damn about anything, was getting scruffy, lazy and fat.
From this mire one low day for no apparent reason, I simply felt enough was enough. Stopped taking the anti-depressants, got angry enough with myself to stop being a victim of my ailment, smartened myself up and started to claw myself back to life.
C+ forum was quite a lifeline to me in those dark days, a lot of moral support was given and cycling/exercise played a major part in my rehab. Cycling now is a major part of my life due to the benefits it brings. If you are unable to get out and ride, why not get/use a Turbo? I found that just grinding the pedals round aimlessly very therapeutic.

This week I have celebrated 1 year in my current job, the best job I’ve had for years, the Beta-blockers means that I’m not quite as sharp as I once was (have accepted this and set my work aspiration accordingly), but I’m doing OK and taking each day as it comes.
When I have a bad/low day, I reflect on the lowest period of my life and try and draw strength from it. Maybe from your current low point you will soon turn the corner.
Keep talking.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have never experienced beta blockers, but I know how a high dose of anti depressants feels....they can really make you feel totally lethargic at times...especially if mixed with any alcohol.

Apart from cycling is there anything else that interests you to be getting on with?

yenrod

Sorry to make this simply about me but the vibe /feeling/ I N V I G O R A T I O N that I got from doing winter misty day rides was, and I'll be brutally honest here (better than sex) SERIOUSLY god knows why it was to me but wow...just so dawning...

Though going back to the sex bit - everything has it section in life but cycling just simply lasts much much much longer !

Back to subject: sorry to make it about me but I feel reflection about me may help in you :blush:

All the best man !!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have never experienced beta blockers, but I know how a high dose of anti depressants feels....they can really make you feel totally lethargic at times...especially if mixed with any alcohol.

Apart from cycling is there anything else that interests you to be getting on with?

From my experience, Beta-blockers alone are a bit like taking a low dose anti-depressant, they make you feel very mildly but noticably sluggish (like being reallly tired all the time), both mentally and physically. They also make me at any rate feel "calmer".
The dose and brand of Beta-blocker affects a person's response, I got a different brand recently that made me feel very "out of it" and muzzy headed to the point at which I was struggling to think coherently at work...changed back to my old brand and within 24 hours the mists were clearing.

It's a small price to pay.

Fab Foodie said:
Hi Elmer

Felt shell-shocked, inert, numb…it was nice for a while in some ways, not really a care in the world, no desire to give a damn about anything, was getting scruffy, lazy and fat.

yeh i can remember that it does feel very "safe"
think you've done the best thing ,elmer, by posting. it does help to talk and it's easier in an anonymous way like this.
hope it helps.

Hey Mr Fudd

sort of know how you feel... maybe it's time for a different hobby. intead of fretting about cycling, just know that you will get back to it and have a go at something else... maybe non-strenuous. i've spend lots of days at the London Wetlands centre this year, just relaxing and watching the birds and insects, seeing the changes the seasons bring, etc. Maybe you could head out to a local park and just sit and watch things. you'll get to notice the subtle changes from week to week, etc. when the time comes to get back on the bike you might find that you can extend your new 'hobby' into other areas... instead of hammering the miles, you can relax more and watch the world as you ride.

all the best

L

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Did a Dave Allen thing this morning, totally relaxing (Couldn't cycle as a bit light headed, my own fault, had a few tinnies last night, being Friday), went for a walk down the old rail track that I usually cycle down, hopped over a fence and lay down, wasn't long before a few of the cows in the field came over curious as to what I was and gave me a good sniff. Was shittin' meself at first in case one of them trod on me (even worse shat on me !), but really REALLY relaxing, an amazing half hour.
Perhaps their curiosity is down to the fact that my surname is Bull (sadly not hung like one !).

Top Bottom