Lower Back Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny

After a couple of hours on the bike (Spec Allez Sport) I start to feel pretty beaten up, especially in my lower back. I am still able to get onto the drops no problem and and ride like that but it is like a dull ache above pelvis in the small of my back.

I already stretch regularly and also do some other core exercises (for other sports other than cycling) and consider myself a pretty flexible.

Any suggestions as to how I can solve this. Obviously my first thought is to throw money at it and buy a better bike but el Banco say no.

beancounter

I wouldn't throw money at the bike but I'd definitely throw some at a good chiropractor. I go to mine once a month and she keeps it all straight for me. After all the sh*te I've had from my back I consider it money well spent.

bc

OP
OP
J

johnny

Had a quick search through earlier posts and found the suggestion of inverting the stem...how do i do this? (yes, i really am that much of a mechanical clux).

OP
OP
J

johnny

Cheers Beancounter, I should have added that I already get a massage every couple of weeks and apparently my back is in fine fettle.

Albert

Über Member
Core stability exercises are often a very good way of curing lower back pain.
Also, if you have disc problems, Mackenzie Exercises are said to be effective.

pjm

johnny said:
After a couple of hours on the bike (Spec Allez Sport) I start to feel pretty beaten up, especially in my lower back. I am still able to get onto the drops no problem and and ride like that but it is like a dull ache above pelvis in the small of my back.

I already stretch regularly and also do some other core exercises (for other sports other than cycling) and consider myself a pretty flexible.

Any suggestions as to how I can solve this. Obviously my first thought is to throw money at it and buy a better bike but el Banco say no.

Firstly, what is your cycling history? If this is your first road bike then a bit of discomfort from the more aggressive position is something that most people suffer from initially and get used to after a while. I don't ride a lot in the Winter and when I start in the Spring I get a sore back after an hour or 2, but the more I ride, the easier it gets.
Secondly, note that a more expensive bike is not necessarily a more comfortable bike. Spend a fortune on a time-trial bike and its going to hurt even more.
Thirdly just because you stretch regularly doesn't mean you stretch enough; I've read of professionals spending an hour a day stretching. Being more flexible will make a difference.
Fourthly regarding the core exercises, I have no idea what your current training involves, but doing back strengthening exercises properly will help, doing them badly will casue a lot of damage, so take professional advice on this!
Fifth and easiest - try to relax on the bike, avoid building up tension by gripping the bars lightly, relaxing your shoulders and moving your position around on the bike - including getting out of the seat from time time just to give your back a rest.

pjm

johnny said:
Had a quick search through earlier posts and found the suggestion of inverting the stem...how do i do this? (yes, i really am that much of a mechanical clux).

on top of your headset steerer tube will be a cap, held on by an allen bolt. unscrew and take the cap off. the stem is held onto the steerer tube by 2 further allen bolts. Unscrew these and you can take the stem off, and reattach it the other way round. this would mean the handlebars are upside down, so before you take off the stem, unscrew the bolts holding the on the bars, and then re-attach after you've flipped the stem over. replace the cap on the top and screw back up. If you are a complete mechanical clux as described, then ask a bike shop to do it because you don't want your handlebars falling off unexpectedly.

beancounter said:
I wouldn't throw money at the bike but I'd definitely throw some at a good chiropractor.
bc

Or...throw that same money into a cesspit, or sacrifice it in a Wicker Man. Seriously, people still go to chiropractors in this enlightened age? Why not just bury a steak- it'll be cheaper and just as pointless.

Get thee to someone who knows what they are doing, like a physiotherapist.

beancounter

Horace Goes Skiing said:
Or...throw that same money into a cesspit, or sacrifice it in a Wicker Man. Seriously, people still go to chiropractors in this enlightened age? Why not just bury a steak- it'll be cheaper and just as pointless.

Get thee to someone who knows what they are doing, like a physiotherapist.

You may have had a bad experience at a chiropractor I suppose.

Mine has more or less given me back my life (in so far as I had one before all my back trouble). So I'm eternally grateful to her.

bc

515mm

hi Johnny

I don't know where you live, but if you're anywhere near Preston talk to Paul at Paul Hewitt Cycles (Google it) about his bike fitting service. £50 to measure you on a jig and £25 to apply the measurements to your own bike. You get the £50 back when you buy a bike from him!

Best £75 I've spent on cycling, no doubt about it. I feel far more comfortable, my lower back doesn't ache any more, I can get more power down and (this is bizarre) I can breathe more easily.

I travelled up from South Wales to do it and I'd happily do it again.

Good Luck!

Mr Pig

We have a friend who used to be a very keen cyclist, mostly road. It was his main hobby and he covered thousands of miles a year. He developed lower back pain which eventually resulted in a chronic condition that led to him being off work for almost a year, at its worst he could do nothing more than lie flat on the floor all day. When he was fit enough to go back to work he had to leave the company he'd been with for something like thirty years and find a job that required less driving, as he could only sit in a car for a limited time.

He's back cycling, even on the road bike sometimes, and has taken up hill walking to keep active. It's taken years though, and you could often see the pain in face, even years later. My point is that whatever you do about the back pain, don't ignore it.

I have suffered from back pain in the past but over the years I have found ways to eliminate it. It was very simple. What I found was that all it took was one or two regular bad posture situations to cause prolonged back pain. I my case there was something I did at work, the chairs we had at home, that kind of thing. We changed the chairs and I found another way to perform the task at work.

If you find something that is causing you back pain, remove it. The results of not taking action can be very serious. Perhaps there are other situations in your life that are contributing to your pain and resolving those may be enough to allow you to continue using this bike without issues.

I sit on chairs in a completely different way to the way I did when I was younger. It seemed odd at first but I do it without thinking about it now. I know exactly what things will give me back pain, totally subconsciously I avoid them and now I never get a sore back.

I wish you all the best with getting this sorted out. If you do your home work and look carefully at your routine I'm sure you can sort it out :0)

Top Bottom