Lowering handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lotus74

Hi i have got new trek 1.2 its has a adjustable stem is it just a case of taking off the bars removing one of the spacer rings putting back on the bars and putting the space ring on top . Is this how its done ? Any advice would be helpful thanks .

GilesM

Legendary Member
Lotus74 said:
Hi i have got new trek 1.2 its has a adjustable stem is it just a case of taking off the bars removing one of the spacer rings putting back on the bars and putting the space ring on top . Is this how its done ? Any advice would be helpful thanks .

That's exactly the way to do it.

Additionally, once you are happy with the bar height you can always cut down the steerer tube on the forks so that you do not need a spacer above the stem, this is not essential and it is expensive if you make a mistake.

gbb

Legendary Member
Have you tried flipping the stem ?.
To be fair, every bike ive had has the stem pointing downwards, you usually flip it to bring it up...may be worth checking on yours before you go cutting anything.

Crankarm

Guru
Nearly there........ When you re-assemble make sure you tighten the steerer allen key on top first thus tensioning the headset, not too tight though or you risk knackeing the bearings or too loose that you can feel play in the headset when you apply the front brake or change direction.......... Then tighten the stem clamp usually 2 allen key bolts around the steerer tube.

I wouldn't make any cuts until you've been riding for quite a bit in the new position and you are totally happy with it. Also you may feel like a change in the future, but if you've cut the steerer, then you are buggered. I decided not to cut mine and have about half an inch above of spacer. It's not a problem IMHO. As suggested above I have flipped the stem over but so it it is angled downward rather than upwards which is a great improvement for me.

If you do cut the steerer use a plumber's pipe cutter. Do not use a hacksaw as you will not be able to get a clean precision cut and totally bugger up the top of the steerer tube. That's my 2ps worth.

OP
OP
Lotus74

Lotus74

Thanks every one . Am not going to cut anything that would be like cutting a finger off my girlfriend cos i felt they looked to long lol i have just moved it down 1 ring it feels better al see how it rides this week .

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Crankarm said:
If you do cut the steerer use a plumber's pipe cutter. Do not use a hacksaw as you will not be able to get a clean precision cut and totally bugger up the top of the steerer tube. That's my 2ps worth.

Maybe, but it's not strictly accurate. A carbon tube will be wrecked if you use a pipe cutter on it - use a saw. And there's absolutely no need to have a clean precision cut. The steerer tube needs to finish a few mm inside the stem or spacers, and it can (within reason) be as jagged / wonky as you like. As long as the top cap will push down on it, and the stem will clamp into it, that's fine.

OP
OP
Lotus74

Lotus74

Thanks doctor 4 that tip . Al not be doing any cutting . I thought a plumers pipe tool would just splinter the carbon . If i was going to cut it think i would use a angle grinder with nice thin disk . Al not be doing it tho my bike is brannew i rub it better when i stone pings off the frame lol but thank you for looking at my post .

Top Bottom