Lowering Rural Speed Limits from 60 to 40

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So what do you consider is incorrect with the way speed limits are set, and why would making it easier for local authorities to set different speed limits mean that we are being held back from this great step forward?

Earlier you said that voting was questioning the decision, in which case empowering locally elected officials is going to give you more say. Why are you concerned about these speed limits?

So far you haven't given any evidence of where they may be an issue, but seem to be suggesting little other than vague conspiracy theories and complaints that you don't get as much say as you seem to want in the process of setting those limits.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It may be common held, but with the sighting of a camera requiring 4 KSIs and 8 less serious injuries in the last three years, all related to speeding on that stretch of road (which can be anything from 400m-1500m long). I don't see how it holds water.

There may be a case with some really old cameras which were installed before the criteria were formed being in places that don't meet the current criteria, but not for the vast majority of cameras.

Currently as well as using the criteria for placing them, cameras have to be bright yellow, in clear view, and signposted beforehand (this signposting must be after the last junction allowing entry to the section of road with a camera), the rules are if anything counter-productive if they are being used either to enforce speed limits more widely or raise revenue.

variable speed limits and average speed cameras everywhere is the answer. but the cost is prohibitive with current technology.

the variable limit and average speed cameras have the bonus of removing the red ripple that causes tailbacks. the A13 fromCanning town to Dagenham flows a lot better than it used to with fixed cameras. in fact the actual speed limit went UP in places from 40 to 50 and the average speed at peak hours went up from <20mph to close to 30mph

Once the new Galileo system is unveiled the technology will be available to enforce limits and eventually speed limit all road vehicles.

At the moment there's no enforcement of any road laws at all as far as I can see.
I've just driven through a 30mph where some idiot raced up behind me at 60, then overtook head on to other traffic as I entered a right turn lane.
Yesterday I watched a driver emerge from a junction on his mobile, drive past a crowded bus stop, and stop at a pedestrian crossing. Yattering away, he's not going to get challenged.
So now we're proposing lower limits in the countryside, where farmers pickup trucks howl down singletrack roads and round blind bends at 70 tailgating anyone in their path.

Message to politicians: If we can't afford to enforce it, don't bother suggesting it.

[QUOTE 1936022, member: 9609"]My first encounter with average speed cameras was many years ago, if anyone can remember it was when they were extending the dual carriage way at Ballinuig on the A9, think it was the first average speed cameras in Scotland; Anyway, I was hammering away up north at about 2am on a Sunday morning, about ¾ of the way through the road works the penny dropped what "Average Speed Camera" meant, about 5 miles of 30 mph on empty pristine dual carriageway at 2am on a Sunday morning, not a sole anywhere in sight. I had to stop in the middle of the empty dual carriageway, role up a smoke, smoke it, then drive under the final camera gantry. I spent the rest of the weekend worrying, if anything had been robbed they would be asking me why I was parked up where I had stopped.[/quote]
The SPECS system would have still caught you if it was active, as it would take your average speed through the cameras that you'd passed and if it had been over the limit at any point (not just overall) it would issue a ticket.

subaqua

What’s the point
The SPECS system would have still caught you if it was active, as it would take your average speed through the cameras that you'd passed and if it had been over the limit at any point (not just overall) it would issue a ticket.

correct, although by changing lanes between the cameras he could have got away with the offence as the original SPECS wasn't type approved for multiple lanes ( even though it did it perfectly well) the new one is type approved for multi lane use.

cruise control is great in average speed cam sections.

My car (indeed every road car I've ever owned) has a dial on the dash witha needle pointing at my current speed.

Most roads have signs indicating the speed I mustn't exceed on that section.

By making sure the needle on my cash doesn't point to a higher number than the one on the signs, I can avoid a speeding fine.

People who talk nonsense about the speedometer taking their attention away from the road probably shouldn't be driving in the first place.

I've been fined many times for speeding. Every one was richly deserved. I will probably be fined again.

Given the choice, I'd prefer cameras to be randomly placed, without warning signs. And I'd like more cameras.

Yes, they are revenue-generating machines... but as has been noted above, they are generating revenue from people unable or unwilling to read a speedometer.

GrasB

Veteran
Assuming we're talking about narrower rural roads rather than rural trunk roads my feeling is why not? If you're driving with reasonable competency & care then you'll be effected very little as most of the narrower roads aren't suitable fo driving down at speeds much higher than 40mph & it might make the job of the police a little easier. That said, I don't see it having much effect on the level of accidents as the drivers driving around as though they're on a race track will continue to do so.

NSL routes are definitely not "fine", and it is not a minority of drivers that tend to be the problem. The 60 mph limit encourages rather a high proportion of drivers, to drive at up to 60 mph on rural roads many of which which were designed for the horse and cart. The designed road speed for relatively modern rural roads was only 45mph. You fail to consider the effect on other road users of motor vehicles travelling at 60mph, it's not just drivers crashing that have to be considered.
Here's an interesting thing, the nicest rural roads I've ridden & driven on where on the IoM, a place where the de-restriction sign really means no speed restriction. The local drivers seem to be far more aware of what speed they should be doing for given road conditions than their mainland counter parts. The other thing I found interesting is how much more respect the 30 limits got from almost everyone.

Crankarm

Guru
60, 50, 40, 30 it won't make a blind bit of difference as out in the sticks there are NO police to enforce any speed limits as it is lawless. Two cars driving at 80mph toward each other, cyclist you are riding in the middle so when the cars pass each other they are both passing you at the same time. Closing speed 160mph. Terrifying. How is this flagrant disregard of speed limits going to be tackled?

Alan B

Perhaps the solution is to build slower more economic cars, so the limitation comes from the vehicle !

my concern is that this potential new limit is not being set for the right reasons.
Nobody anywhere is suggesting "a new limit" - go and do the reading! The suggestion is that it be easier to reduce limits on certain roads, on a number of criteria (basically those roads where a sane driver would not exceed 40 anyway).

If you are happy blindly following every law set, great, but any civilisation requires others to step forward and question the reasons for such decisions.
It's hard to resist the quick comeback - that I'm not the one blindly following? Ahem - I read the documents, listened with care?

History has given us many such great men and whilst I wouldn't put myself anywhere close to their league I do aspire to follow their example.
Let's just say that this comment did not provoke a solemn response, deserving of your gravity and seriousness. :laugh:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If you are happy blindly following every law set, great, but any civilisation requires others to step forward and question the reasons for such decisions.

History has given us many such great men and whilst I wouldn't put myself anywhere close to their league I do aspire to follow their example.

Are you seriously comparing speeding with something like the Suffragette movement?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Good grief, I've looked at all my posts and I can't see one single mention of the suffragettes because that would be silly. We should question everything though, from small to large.

Not the suffragettes specifically (that's why I said "something like ...", but you said

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I've made it easy for you. I seem to be taking up all your time going backwards and forwards quoting my old posts which were with someone else about a different aspect of this discussion when you didn't even follow that thread...so I have deleted them all so you can get on with life which means cycling!

You can feel free to quote 'quotes' but really there is more to life. You have your beliefs I have mine. Let it go.

Top Bottom