Lowering Rural Speed Limits from 60 to 40

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Actually forget it, you just pick holes in evidence in order to make yourself feel better about being ignorant.

For all your slagging off of those very quickly googled articles, you haven't contributed anything factual one way or another.

I did my research and came up with an opinion.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
[QUOTE 1937262, member: 45"]

Analysing articles based on knowledge of the subject and giving consideration to the background and agendas is not picking holes. It's necessary.[/quote]

Finally we agree on something, that was my point the whole time.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1936019, member: 9609"]I guess it must also be where most of the police, police, here in the south east of scotland we don't have any police, and as a consequence nobody takes a blind bit of notice of any speed limits.[/quote]
No - I see a police car once in a blue moon. And unlike in Scotland we don't have signs telling you that there are unmarked cars around.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1937570, member: 9609"]bully for you - and well done to all the people of where ever it is you live for being such law abiding motorists![/quote]
I live in Buckinghamshire, regularly drive to Surrey, and less often to other parts of the South-East.

It's a myth that most people regularly speed. I'm sure it's a myth in Scotland too, as Snorri suggests.

(On the way up to JoG we saw quite a lot of "unmarked car" signs - I think on both the A68 and the A9.)

GrasB

Veteran
I completely disagree with that srw. When driving I do keep to the speed limit as best I can & I almost always end up with a queue of cars behind me. I am often overtaken in villages & on lower speed rural roads when I'm on a bike & at or very close to the speed limit. If most people aren't speeding then how can these people overtake me? It's not like my speed measuring devices are wrong either; in my Alfa the spedo is semi-calibrated speedo, plus GPS or rolling roads agree to reasonable error margin, so that I know when my speedo is showing it's between 0 & 2mph slow up to 110mph. My guess is most drivers are doing about 5-10mph over the speed limit most of the time when it comes to non-NSL roads. I also feel that most drivers are tending to drive way to fast round blind or semi-blind corners, yes they're well inside the speed limit but they're driving too fast for the conditions.

byegad

Legendary Member
Can I go back a bit?

Forget speeding or the relative lack of it. I'm old enough to have been driving during the 1970s oil crisis, caused by OPEC upping the price of crude. We had a temporary reduction of speed limits with 50mph for none dual carriageway roads out of town and 60mph for dual carriageways, IIRC Motorways were reduced to 60mph too, but I may be wrong on that one. Getting around was so much easier as traffic seemed to flow more slowly and my average mpg went up from 40mpg to 46mpg for my Mini 1000.

Bring on a general and permanent blanket reduction!

GrasB

Veteran
Forget speeding or the relative lack of it. I'm old enough to have been driving during the 1970s oil crisis, caused by OPEC upping the price of crude.
Was that the one that lastest about 6 weeks? Because if it was it was a total disaster, national fuel usage went up by a massive amount.

No - I see a police car once in a blue moon. And unlike in Scotland we don't have signs telling you that there are unmarked cars around.

Pffff.... That's fiction. Unmarked cars my arse!

In most cities you can't own a car for more than a fortnight and hope it will remain unmarked!

Bloody cyclists, that's who it is! They scratch your bodywork with their pedals and snap your mirrors.

Bloody luinatics, the lot of them! And do they pay Road Tax? Don't even go there!

Frankly, if you have an unmarked car in most UK cities today, it's still in the showroom.

Sorry, what was this thread about?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I live in Buckinghamshire, regularly drive to Surrey, and less often to other parts of the South-East.

It's a myth that most people regularly speed. I'm sure it's a myth in Scotland too, as Snorri suggests.

(On the way up to JoG we saw quite a lot of "unmarked car" signs - I think on both the A68 and the A9.)

IIRC quite a few of the A68 ones were in Northumberland.

There are a lot of drivers that speed on rural roads, but not so much on the 60mph ones as it would be difficult to keep the car physically on the road at that speed (it may be different somewhere where the roads are flatter and straighter than round here). OTOH 30 signs are treated as 'lets start slowing down now' signs, then they often don't actually slow below 40mph through the village, and NSL signs at the end of villages are targets to accelerate to 60mph before they are reached.

Although cars are not exceeding 60mph on these roads this does not equate to them being driven at the correct speed for the conditions however. Unfortunately too many drivers see the limit as a target speed.

Top Bottom