Lowering the driver saddle on a tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
With the current clamp,
It's possible to increase the inner diameter on the lower half, to enable it to fit over the seat tube.

Problem arises with trying to secure the seat post by clamping from the front. Slot/cutout is at the rear.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
With the current clamp,
It's possible to increase the inner diameter on the lower half, to enable it to fit over the seat tube.

Problem arises with trying to secure the seat post by clamping from the front. Slot/cutout is at the rear.

You think we could make the clamp wide enough to fit over the seat tube?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have a chat either to JD Tandems in Yorkshire or to SJS in Somerset.

Personally I wouldn't do without some sort of clamp on a seat post, but if it's steel I'm surprised it's not integrated into the frame. There are many stoker stems available, including adjustable ones. For a growing lad adjustment might make sense.

I think you're just discovering why the taller rider normally captains a tandem!

Superb advice - I chatted to the Yorkshire guys last week and have contacted SJS today. We're much closer to SJS so that's more feasible.
Hi Cathryn

On our Thorn tandem the clamp on the seat post is 30 mm deep, much smaller than your 2 and 1/2 inches or about 62mm so half the size of yours.
So I suggest that you remove the seat post with the clamp and the stokers bars and take the whole assembly with you on your visit to SJS Cycles.
Make sure that you have plenty of money on your credit card as the Thorn kit is not cheap!

Before starting to ride explain to your son that the handlebars are only there to rest his hands, you do all the steering and he just sits and pedals.

Mike

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi Cathryn

On our Thorn tandem the clamp on the seat post is 30 mm deep, much smaller than your 2 and 1/2 inches or about 62mm so half the size of yours.
So I suggest that you remove the seat post with the clamp and the stokers bars and take the whole assembly with you on your visit to SJS Cycles.
Make sure that you have plenty of money on your credit card as the Thorn kit is not cheap!

Before starting to ride explain to your son that the handlebars are only there to rest his hands, you do all the steering and he just sits and pedals.

Mike

Hi Mike. Thank you for the info - that clamp sounds really useful and gives me hope. We're actually in email contact with SJS, they've been really helpful and sent me a link to a clamp, it might be that one! I would LOVE to go and visit but I'm not sure they're welcoming customers at the moment, which is sad but useful for my bank balance.

Hi Mike. Thank you for the info - that clamp sounds really useful and gives me hope. We're actually in email contact with SJS, they've been really helpful and sent me a link to a clamp, it might be that one! I would LOVE to go and visit but I'm not sure they're welcoming customers at the moment, which is sad but useful for my bank balance.
Hi Cathryn
I read somewhere that even before Choina Virus SJS preferred you to make an appointment rather than just walking in.
How far are you allowed to travel atm and how far are you in Wiltshire from SJS?
Anyway I am sure that SJS will have a solution for you.
Mike

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi Cathryn
I read somewhere that even before Choina Virus SJS preferred you to make an appointment rather than just walking in.
How far are you allowed to travel atm and how far are you in Wiltshire from SJS?
Anyway I am sure that SJS will have a solution for you.
Mike

I think I will need an appt, we're about an hour away I think. But my dad is working on some metalwork solution so we'll see. I'll post pics when we've solved it.

barr313

My uswb Claud Butler has the original fitting. The steerers seat post is an angled "T" On the front of the cross bar of the "T" the steerers saddle is mounted and on the rear part of the "T" is the fitting for the stokers handle bars - This is two circular tubes joined together ( looks a bit like a figure 8 - one fits the "T" of the tube and the other takes the handlebars.

barr313

Just about make out the double mounting for the stokers handlebars. The stem would normally be fitted turned 180 degrees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom