Lowest gear too hard!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stonepark

Über Member
So coming from a mountain bike to a cx bike which im riding on the road....

Today for the first time i did a fair bit of climbing and i just couldnt spin the lowest gear ratio on my bike, really struggling to get up the hills and it hurt my knees mashing the hard gear, i had to get out of the saddle a lot, just dont have enough fitness to climb.

Try going back to the mtb on the road and train yourself out of the bottom front ring, with y hybrid ( 48, 36, 26 and 11-32 in 9 cogs), to start with i had to use the middle front rings for the local hills and dips (nothing too severe) and it took quite a bit of effort to every week only use a smaller rear cog each week, until i was comfortable to change up to the big ring at he front (and to a large rear cog) and then start the process again.

This is the Beginners forum don't you know? How dare you question leg muscles ;)

sorry - I should have mentioned squats... :biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The OP has a CX bike. Would be surprised if the largest sprocket has only 25 teeth...? Then again, I know next to nowt about CX bikes but thought they were meant to have lower gearing than the avg compact dbl.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Body shape is fairly unique to individuals, but anyway it wasn't his leg muscles that were allowing him to ride up the hill at 15mph - it was his CV and aerobic system...

Well - his leg muscles must play some part I would have thought; I can't imagine a wonderful CV and Lungs doing much with atrophied muscles.

Whatever, his legs looked awful - my wife's words were "freaky" & "disgusting".

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
I use my lowest gear and get as far up a hill as I can. Then I stop, get my breath back and set off again. I stop and start as many times as needs be.
Next time I try to go a little further on each stage. After a number of times doing this, dependant upon the hill, it does get easier. I managed a hill with a 17% gradient in part of it that I never dreamed of doing when I started. Alas having been off the bike for 8 or 9 weeks I am now back to square one. Just keep the faith.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Well - his leg muscles must play some part I would have thought; I can't imagine a wonderful CV and Lungs doing much with atrophied muscles.

Whatever, his legs looked awful - my wife's words were "freaky" & "disgusting".
Your reference to tree trunk legs implied that not having them was a problem of concern for a relative newbie to hills, struggling on hills.

This of course isn't the case.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Aren't MTB and Road/CX ratios different too, in that they're connected to different sized wheels, making the same gear ratio on his presumably 700c CX bike harder than on a 26" MTB?

Personally id prefer to have a nice low gear for when you need it, my hybrids got lowest at 28 front 32 rear, which at over 18 stone I still only need very occasionally, but I like that ive got it. I think id really struggle with typical CX gearing until i fix my cake addiction ;)

lukesdad

Its a supply and demand equation, the muscles make the demand the CV system is the supply if they are mismatched performance will suffer, oversimplified I know, hence bodybuilders get out of breath doing the shopping ^_^

billy1561

BB wrecker
I don't understand hills and gears whatsoever. I'm roughly 110 kg and can keep up with my mates relatively easily on the flat over any distance. Once a hill is attempted, I'm left for dead. To me that is a weight thing as my mates are at least 20 kg lighter.
My bike is probably the lightest in the group too.

I don't understand hills and gears whatsoever. I'm roughly 110 kg and can keep up with my mates relatively easily on the flat over any distance. Once a hill is attempted, I'm left for dead. To me that is a weight thing as my mates are at least 20 kg lighter.
My bike is probably the lightest in the group too.

of course weight plays a part in performance - especially uphill, but at 110kg you are either 7ft tall, or you are carrying significantly too much of it. If you are overweight, then reducing your weight will obviously improve your power/weight ratio.

Top Bottom