Lowest of the low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
The comments are worse than the story:

I had a very close call with 2 cyclists cycling side by side just after a corner on a 60 mph road. It would have been next to impossible to prove that I wasn't at fault. This is why dashcams are the way to go

Sorry, since where in the highway code does it say cyclists cannot ride 2 abreast after a corner on a 60mph road! What the driver is suggesting that even if it was one cyclist riding in a primary position to avoid something in the road, he'd have still almost nearly hit him, and yet it's not his fault? If that corner was sharp there would have almost certainly been a reduce speed / slow indicator?

I am totally fed up of cyclists who have no concern for other road users. They should be required to be insured and pay to use the roads. The cost of marking roads for their use is astronomical. I live in a small rural village and many of them ride everywhere and anywhere without a thought for anyone else

Mark the road, and renew it every so often - not exactly a massive cost. Relaying roads, fixing craters caused by vehicles - a large cost. Cyclist likely pays same towards the roads as non cyclist on the same salary!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sorry, since where in the highway code does it say cyclists cannot ride 2 abreast after a corner on a 60mph road! What the driver is suggesting that even if it was one cyclist riding in a primary position to avoid something in the road, he'd have still almost nearly hit him, and yet it's not his fault? If that corner was sharp there would have almost certainly been a reduce speed / slow indicator?

The Golden Rule, as per the Highway Code rule 126 ...
Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
Indeed. If there isn't a cyclist around that corner (or two) it could be a pedestrian, a horse or a tractor to name a few. But he'll go out and buy a dash cam to prove they're all at fault ;-)

I had to report another comment that was inciting driving close to cyclists to teach them a lesson.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How about the plonker taking his jacket off whilst riding. He got it caught in his front wheel and went over the bars. A lot of people ignoring lights. As for the guy who nearly got caught by the left turning car by going up the inside he really should have been more defensive. The driver was wrong but would you rather feel righteous with your leg in plaster? Both drivers and cyclists are not perfect.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
That so-called red light in one of the photos looks distinctly amber to me.
I think this guy should probably post more photos and videos of motorists breaking road rules: we all know there's plenty of video material there. Focussing on cyclists or motorists to the exclusion of the other just provokes nasty comments like those on the linked web page.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I couldn't help myself: I just posted numerous comments on the article, trying to educate some of these morons. It's the same hypocrisy we have in Australia: everything they accuse cyclists of doing wrong, they're doing themselves.

double_dd

Über Member
It's funny how it's ok for cyclists to out drivers publicly but when someone does it to cyclists the Highway Code comes out to prove all motorists wrong.

Yes there's no law about riding two abreast around a corner but why would you want to? On a 60mph road I'd rather have common sense (even if the driver behind doesnt) and ride single file just incase the driver didn't slow down and didn't have time to see me. The primary position thing doesn't even come in here - if there's two cyclists abreast and the one on the inside has to move over because of let's say a pothole, then the outside cyclist has to move further over than a normal primary position.

Guy taking his coat off deserves it. Why not just stop?

And as for 'I don't actually recall there being any sort of danger presented by any cyclist doing any of the above'...really? If you have that attitude then everyone will ride and drive like an idiot.

Daily shyte does have a way of twisting things though and they're certainly doing their job getting their stories shared even if it does p*ss people off!

The Golden Rule, as per the Highway Code rule 126 ... (What has happened to the quote facility?)
"126
Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear."
last software update removed it from the links above, but using [Quote? (replace ? with ] ) and similarly [/Quote?... works fine... (sorry but if I type the entire thing in it will simply make them into a quote...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Being discussed HERE

(Mod edit: - the thread ianrauk posted in has now been merged with the thread you are now reading - don't bother clicking the link!)

Last edited by a moderator:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3019553, member: 30090"]Not that I'd expect anything less from the Daily Mail but this really does take the ****.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-cutting-motorists-using-mobile-phones.html

Ok, so some cyclist in York has decided to take it upon themselves to film other cyclists doing 'bad' things.
You know the typical sort, riding along pavements, talking on mobile phones, jumping red lights.

The funny thing is though that in the vid I don't actually recall there being any sort of danger presented by any cyclist doing any of the above. In fact the only truly dangerous thing was some dickhead car driver not checking their mirrors and almost left hooking a cyclist.

The thing that has got me riled is that the Mail by quoting some stats and implying that somehow we are at fault in a collision.

It's ****ed me off the Mail doing such a thing and any dull minded idiot reading the article might think we are at fault for many of the collisions that take place on Britain's roads when this simply is not the case.[/QUOTE]
When I first saw this on the Peaches Geldof link it said the cyclist wished to remain anonymous shame the photo's are copywrited Rossparry or did someone else nick em. Bit pointless filming these numpties then giving em to a tory rag.

Top Bottom