Lubrication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I gave my throat plenty of alcohol lubrication over Xmas and New Year but I now need to help my bike out ! ^_^
Over the years I have only ever used GT85 on my chains (I do use Muc Off chain cleaner every now and again) and I am thinking about using a proper oil lubricant as I have got through quite a few chains over the years and on doing so wrecked my cogs/gears. Its actually in for a service, new chain , cogs , gears as we speak!
Its only a Kona Dew City Hybrid, 2 years old, and I have been looking to replace it but I really need to try and keep it going as long as I can as a few things have popped up over the last couple of months that have hit me in the pocket !
Does using a "proper" lubricant help increase the life span on a chain and the other components?
I could google this I know but I thought I would put it to you knowledgable lot !
What are the best lubes for the money ?
Any help is greatly appreciated

gavintc

Guru
Mickle produced this method some time ago. I moved from solvent abuse to using the mickle method shortly after reading this - it works and is cheaper

http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=349&subjectId=9

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Your best bet would be a wet lube of some sort this time of year as the dry lubes are less sticky but do not last very long with all the rain etc about.
There a many brands, finish line etc etc and some people even use chainsaw oil.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm a fan of chainsaw 'chain' oil but to be honest most oils will do the job.
The secret to saving the sprockets is to change the chain BEFORE it starts to wear out the sprockets and to keep the partially worn one (in a jam-jar submerged in oil is best) Then when some wear occurs on the sprockets and they won't accept a new chain without 'skipping' you have a part 'streched' one (or more) which will happily run on slightly worn chainrings
BTW by the time you can see any sprocket wear its too late to change chains and as for the 'Mickle' method I was doing that long before I became a member on here but it is VERY SOUND ADVICE and I've found that 1 old (clean) pair of religious (holey) Y fronts is more than enough to give the chain a good lube and clean but any cotton cloths will do the job ( I tend to like my older T-shirts though Maz refuses to be seen with me when I'm wearing em :whistle:)

subaqua

What’s the point
Chainsaw oil. Although at a push I have used rigid pipe threading oil when the chain has been noisy on the way into work.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I use one of those Park tools chain cleaning machines with a degreaser, then run it through a clean rag to get off any excess and lube with wet lube(dry lube in the summer).
I know a few people don't like the cleaning machines but personally I do. The chain comes up like brand new.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Thats great thanks everyone :smile: . Think I will go with the chiansaw oil and see how that goes.
I will have a look at the "Mickle Method" link when I get home from work later , the link is blocked here :rolleyes:
I wonder if old boxer shorts will do the same trick as Y fronts !!!!????? :laugh:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUSQVARNA...NGINE-XP-0-1-LITRE-/131373466238#ht_169wt_952
Will this do the trick?
Will probably go dry oil in the Summer

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, most oils will be better than spray degreaser/displacer/lubes. I like TF2 because it seems to suit local conditions. This is something where looking at what independent local bike shops stock can be informative, because they don't often stock lubes that get complaints or leave them open to accusations of deliberately accelerating wear so they can replace more parts!

Steady

Über Member
I came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what type of lubricant is used as long as it's used (exceptions for the extreme of course!). I've used all sorts of oil based lubricants over the years, some are just 'stickier' than others, but all do their job. Though buying a 'pride and joy bike' did slip me into a world of marketing and gimicks so I paid out for Finish Line dry lube, pleased with it overall but it's not any different to the cheap muck I've used over the years, comes off quicker in Winter of course.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use the Mickle method once a week, twice in winter. Hanging the bike up on my £5 lidl bike lift makes the job very simple and a lot more thorough than leaving the bike on the floor or turning it upside down.

My chains and cassettes last for ages before I change them and I like to have silly smooth sounding bikes.

The trick is to keep on top of them all the time. I think it's therapy and it saves me money at the same time.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Now I am getting torn as what lube/oil to use! I am going to put all of the options in a hat and draw one :laugh:
Its all about opinions and what works best for you. I doubt I will have the time to clean and lube regularly though :sad:

Top Bottom