Luckiest cyclist ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd think it was different in Germany,Switzerland, Holland and all the Scandanavian countries judging by the comments on how bad cycling in England is made by friends (and ex-lovers) from those countries, as for the rest of the world I don't know.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd think it was different in Germany,Switzerland, Holland and all the Scandanavian countries judging by the comments on how bad cycling in England is made by friends (and ex-lovers) from those countries, as for the rest of the world I don't know.
Interestingly this is almost the opposite of what I get from the people at work from most of those countries.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Interestingly this is almost the opposite of what I get from the people at work from most of those countries.
Strange, I guess Cambridge is the cycling never-never land but out here in non-academia real England cyclists get treated like second class citizens and my friends tell me "This would never happen in my country".:headshake:

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
and you imagine the rest of the world is any different?

Friend of mine worked in Copenhagen for a while and he tells me that any collisions between cyclist and car is immediately ruled the fault of the driver until proved otherwise (stats show that is normally is driver fault) People are VERY cautious around bikes there....

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
Friend of mine worked in Copenhagen for a while and he tells me that any collisions between cyclist and car is immediately ruled the fault of the driver until proved otherwise (stats show that is normally is driver fault) People are VERY cautious around bikes there....

“The Netherlands and Denmark have a law of ‘strict liability’ to protect vulnerable road users from more powerful road users. Under this law, in crashes involving vulnerable road users, unless it can be clearly proven that the vulnerable road user was at fault, the more powerful road user is found liable by default. This makes Dutch and Danish drivers more cautious around cyclists and pedestrians and is responsible for their safe roads.”

http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/w...ity-made-everybody-drive-safely-and-play-nice

Keith Oates

Janner

It's the same in China and most drivers take care around bikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrasB

Veteran
Strange, I guess Cambridge is the cycling never-never land but out here in non-academia real England cyclists get treated like second class citizens and my friends tell me "This would never happen in my country".:headshake:
Ah, you're commenting on how people are treated. I was talking about how people viewed our infrastructure.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Retrospective karma: anyone that happens to has the right to sit sobbing and contemplating the mess you just made in your trousers. But he jumps up to lend assistance to the poor truck driver.

I've been thinking about Moscow. Moscow traffic is infinitely worse than London; the roads are also much worse and the drivers also much worse. I have no hesitation in riding on the roads in London (or Paris) but I would not do it in Moscow. I think any non-dead cyclist in Russia is very lucky.
He could have just been going to kick the crap out of him.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah, you're commenting on how people are treated. I was talking about how people viewed our infrastructure.
Our 'infrastructure' is sh*t unless you enjoy riding through miles of glass strewn dual use pavements cycle lanes that end after 50 yards and being lumped in with busses (possibly the least cycle-friendly vehicle ever).
I cannot wait for the day my leg has healed enough to allow me to ride a 2 wheeler again and get back on the roads where I belong.
Not all of us have the facilities of 'the dreaming spires'.

GrasB

Veteran
Our 'infrastructure' is sh*t unless you enjoy riding through miles of glass strewn dual use pavements cycle lanes that end after 50 yards and being lumped in with busses (possibly the least cycle-friendly vehicle ever).
It's the lack of an infrastructure network they like & that we can ignore the infrastructure at will.

Top Bottom