Lucky to still be here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeonaBike

Just returned from a ride and it must be my lucky day. Approaching a cross roads, downhill on the main road, a nearly 'blind' motorist pulled out right in front of me; I actually saw him look at me but he still pulled out. How I missed him I will never know. I was ready for the impact as he stopped half way across the road and I missed the front of his car with the bike sliding at about 45 degrees! I have no idea how I managed to stay upright. Unfortunately, by the time I had regained control, he had turned right and was gone. We put our lives at risk every time we go out, why do we do it? Some of the drivers are too old and infirm (poor eyesight) to be allowed a driving license. I'm sure many others have similar experiences but it really is time that reckless and incompetent drivers were removed from the roads.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Jeeze!! I'm glad your okay but that must have given you a 'brown trouser' moment!!
I believe after a certain age, drivers have to declare they are fit etc but what's to stop them NOT declaring eyesight issues or anything else
:sad:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I confess I was tired on the return leg of today's ride and pulled out of a junction without looking. Luckily for all concerned, the approaching car was coming from my left and not the right. Driver didn't stop and shout but I would have deserved it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
not sure it's anything to do with the cliché of eyesight tests though. In my view / experience, cars do see us, but pull out regardless

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
not sure it's anything to do with the cliché of eyesight tests though. In my view / experience, cars do see us, but pull out regardless
I think it is because motorists can judge the speed of a car coming towards them but tend to think that cycles are slow so they have time to go. Also, a bicycle does not have the same physical presence as a larger object like a car or other four wheels vehicle.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
In days gone by over 70s had to have a doctor sign them fit to drive, but the government in their wisdom changed the laws so that they could self certificate themselves. You can often tell those that shouldn't be on the road, but until they kill someone, only then do they question whether they should be driving. They believe it's their right to drive, but it is not, that is why there is a test of competency, which is all a driving test is.

young Ed

Veteran
crikey, glad you are still with us!

for motorcycles you have to re-take your test hen you hit 70 or 75 i forget now
same as you being restricted on power, size and weight of motorcycle when you are younger but a 17 year old could jump into a super sports 200+ mph car legally
Cheers Ed

D

Deleted member 1258

I think it is because motorists can judge the speed of a car coming towards them but tend to think that cycles are slow so they have time to go. Also, a bicycle does not have the same physical presence as a larger object like a car or other four wheels vehicle.

Sometimes they look and don't see, sometimes they don't understand how fast we can travel, sometimes they don't cover the blind spots, and sometimes they don't give a s*** and pull out even though they have seen us.

http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/205.html

Top Bottom