Luxury Bangernomics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bangernomics is brilliant. £500-£1000 should get a car good enough to offer reliable daily service but cheap enough to buy another if something major goes wrong.

I'd always opt for Japanese.

Just looked at the Accord - 3.5l automatic with 189k miles. Might be a bit thirsty for local use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
In what decade is Honda making luxury cars?
Honda have been doing it for 30+ year's

Just looking at Autotrader for no real reason , and came across this beauty

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801202929719?make=HONDA&postcode=nn85bz&price-to=1500&radius=15&price-from=500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=distance&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

ok loads of 5 series , big Citroens , Peugoets and other more main stream motors but nothing like this one , slap a private reg on it sort the blemish on the rear bumper and hey presto one cheap limo
Wow haven't seen one for years... Lovely engine that should be good for a load of miles. I fancy an Alpha 166 tho not as reliable.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Wow haven't seen one for years... Lovely engine that should be good for a load of miles. I fancy an Alpha 166 tho not as reliable.

Brave man who buys any Alfa never mind a 166

£999 for a 22 year old luxobarge with interstellar mileage and a big engine? He's optimistic.

You can't be middle class in German car - people only think they can.

its only just run in

Drago

Legendary Member
The 164 was one of the offspring of the excellent Type 4 programme, along with the Lancia Thema, Saab 9000, and Fiat Croma. All excellent machines in their era.

Bangeromics is excellent. £700 bought me Grandad's Ford Fusion with 61,000 miles, one owner and FFSH. Never had so much as an advisory on an MOT. It looks 2 years old, not 12, with nary a mark in or out. £700 is 2 or 3 months repayments for a similar sized new car, so I'm quids in. I could buy 4 each year and still break even, though I've now had it for 17 faultless months, so I'm quids in. I don't car what the neighbours think, I don't need to compensate for a small winky, I just want cheap, reliable, economical transport. All boxes duly ticked. £18,000 for a new Fiesta? Yeah, right.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Now, if you can find a Lancia Thema 8.32 that really would be interesting...

The turbo was an Integrale motor with the boost turned down. Very easy to restore it to Integrale tune, whereupon it would kick the 8.32 in the knackers. 8.32 is a lovely rarity though, only 6 or 8 ever registered here.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The turbo was an Integrale motor with the boost turned down. Very easy to restore it to Integrale tune, whereupon it would kick the 8.32 in the knackers. 8.32 is a lovely rarity though, only 6 or 8 ever registered here.

I used to see one on the way to work, back in the day - not in the best part of town either.
Mind you, on the rarity scale I used to see a Subaru SVX on the commute as well...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Alfa's got 6 weeks' MOT - so that's out.

Merc's from their 'bad' years - avoid.

Previa's been to the moon - ? leggy

X-type = Mondeo

Saab or your first Honda choice for me. Just make sure you can get a bike in ;-)

Top Bottom