Lyon to Beziers (solo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dingdongdead

Looking for some touring help from Lyon to Beziers...

I'll be cycling down to Beziers by myself (get some headspace from London life) to meet some friends for a long weekend of doing sweet FA. I'll be flying in to Lyon and flying out of Beziers. I've set aside 6 days to make it down in time, which will be ample time judging by last years tour with some friends where we averaged 60 miles per day. Hopefully that'll give me a days rest (at least) or might give me some extra time to explore and go off piste.

My questions to you guys are as followed...

- Has anyone toured alone and what's it like? Fun? Hardwork? Lonely?

- Has anyone done Lyon to Beziers before or explored that region that could give me some pointers? I'm looking for beautiful countryside, rivers, etc.

- I assume there's good places to camp along the way simialr to everywhere else in France?

- Is Mont Ventoux do-able with panniers / tent etc on the back? I was thinking of taking a detour and giving it a crack. I really, really want to.

Thanks for any help / tips / pointers? It's really, really appreciated.
Tom

rich p

ridiculous old lush
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/quick-question-who-tours-alone.202741/
Depends on your route but these are all worthy of a visit
The Cevennes
The Vercours
Gorges de Nesque
Sommieres
Avignon
Gorges de l'Herault
I did a similar route some years ago, with a tent, to the lower Pyrenees and Toulouse. Enough campsites.

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If you did Ventoux and then headed up north to Vercors, you'd get some stunning scenery, and places like Nyons. Not flat, but not ridiculous climbing either. Vercors is my occasional home patch, and if the weather's good, is stunning, and you get to go up my favourite climb (OK, I'm biased) of Col de Rousset. If the weather was dodgy up on the plateau, there's a good route round to the west via Crest.

wpid-wp-1445898504302.jpe

bigjim

Legendary Member
I did it last year. Followed the Rhone. It's pretty easy. there is a trainline that follows the route and it's therefore easy to jump on if you are running late. Goes all the way to Beziers. I've flown back out of Beziers 3 times in the last 4 years. Came at it from different directions though. I've done it alone and with a mate. Day time alone is ok, but France seems to close at 8pm so I found the evenings a bit lonely, but then again I get homesick after about a week. Others seem fine to wander alone for months at a time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

If you did Ventoux and then headed up north to Vercors, you'd get some stunning scenery, and places like Nyons. Not flat, but not ridiculous climbing either. Vercors is my occasional home patch, and if the weather's good, is stunning, and you get to go up my favourite climb (OK, I'm biased) of Col de Rousset. If the weather was dodgy up on the plateau, there's a good route round to the west via Crest.

Hey Brian,

Thanks for this. How hilly are we talking? I'm 28, in good health and I enjoy climbing but I will have all my kit with me so not sure I can be going up and down all day. I basically don't want to get stuck in some mountains and can't get out!

Also, what do you say - worth trying to fit in Mont Ventoux or go to the other places you've mentioned?

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

I did it last year. Followed the Rhone. It's pretty easy. there is a trainline that follows the route and it's therefore easy to jump on if you are running late. Goes all the way to Beziers. I've flown back out of Beziers 3 times in the last 4 years. Came at it from different directions though. I've done it alone and with a mate. Day time alone is ok, but France seems to close at 8pm so I found the evenings a bit lonely, but then again I get homesick after about a week. Others seem fine to wander alone for months at a time.

Bigjim - anywhere along the Rhone worth going to / avoiding? Anything stunning that I can't miss?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Hey Brian,

Thanks for this. How hilly are we talking? I'm 28, in good health and I enjoy climbing but I will have all my kit with me so not sure I can be going up and down all day. I basically don't want to get stuck in some mountains and can't get out!

Also, what do you say - worth trying to fit in Mont Ventoux or go to the other places you've mentioned?
Mont Ventoux - not sure I'd go out of my way to do it on a touring bike - the ride is hard enough, and though it's satisfying to say you've done it, there are better climbs, IMHO. It's just a big lump with an admittedly impressive view at the top.

If you do go in that direction, Malaucene to Die isn't too hard at all: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14740763 - 64 miles and 4,500ft. Die has plenty of camping places. If you wanted to sample Vercors from Die, two good ways: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14740843, or if you wanted to see one of the world's best roads, at Combe Laval https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14740885 . From there you could go across to Romans and then up the Rhone to Lyon.

Combe Laval...

DSC01465.20140821blog.jpg

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

Mont Ventoux - not sure I'd go out of my way to do it on a touring bike - the ride is hard enough, and though it's satisfying to say you've done it, there are better climbs, IMHO. It's just a big lump with an admittedly impressive view at the top.

If you do go in that direction, Malaucene to Die isn't too hard at all: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14740763 - 64 miles and 4,500ft. Die has plenty of camping places. If you wanted to sample Vercors from Die, two good ways: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14740843, or if you wanted to see one of the world's best roads, at Combe Laval https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14740885 . From there you could go across to Romans and then up the Rhone to Lyon.

Combe Laval...

noted and thank you!
Dumb question but I'll be going to from Lyon down to Beziers. Would that make a huge difference to the route apart from it being the other way around?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
noted and thank you!
Dumb question but I'll be going to from Lyon down to Beziers. Would that make a huge difference to the route apart from it being the other way around?
Not a dumb question at all - I hadn't taken in the title properly! It's a really tough climb up to Combe Laval from St Jean-en-Royans, so if you were doing Vercors the other route via Pont-en-Royans is friendlier. If you've got time to stop at Vassieux there is a very moving small museum of the Resistance there - Vercors was a fortress for them, but they were slaughtered at about the time of the D-Day landings. The descent from Col de Rousset is wonderful, as you come into the warmth and lavender fields.

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

Again, thank you. I need to get the map out and look at these places properly. If all else fails, I have the flat inland to save me. Just worried about the tent etc on the back of the bike!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Again, thank you. I need to get the map out and look at these places properly. If all else fails, I have the flat inland to save me. Just worried about the tent etc on the back of the bike!
You do indeed have flatland. The road on the west bank of the Rhone is nice enough, if you don't mind a few cars and want to make good progress. A tad further east and you can hug the lower slopes of Vercors, though I'd probably avoid the D538 going towards Crest - too much traffic including lorries. I've never worked out why that road is quite so busy.

Ajay

Veteran
I would look at a 'direct' route to Beziers. You can then take in the Massif Central, Le Puy, Mende the stunning Tarn and Jonte gorges, unmissable cirque De Navacelles, Pezenas and Beziers. Save the Ventoux for a Provence trip. ^_^

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

Too much choice! Sacking off Ventoux, all these other places you guys have recommended looks 100x nicer.

I'm assuming everywhere mentioned so far is okay for camping and finding places or is it devoid?

That Col de Rousset looks phenomenal! Also really tempted by Gorges de l'Herault but that may be too far out of the way

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Too much choice! Sacking off Ventoux, all these other places you guys have recommended looks 100x nicer.

I'm assuming everywhere mentioned so far is okay for camping and finding places or is it devoid?

That Col de Rousset looks phenomenal! Also really tempted by Gorges de l'Herault but that may be too far out of the way
When are you going, BTW? I'll be in Die from 20 July.

Top Bottom