M.O.T. lottery

How much will it cost?

• Nothing - it's only done 1800 miles since the last one and it'll fly through.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Up to £100. A narrow squeak, could have been worse.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • £101 - £200. OK, not too bad for a years motoring.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • £201 - £300. That smarts a bit, but just about bearable.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • £301 - £400. OK, this isn't funny now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £401 - £500. Eyes starting to water.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • £501+. Drive it straight to the scrap pie.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My MOT had expired so had to get it done in a rush as I had a longish trip next day. Passed no problem. Normally I get a service done before the test in case of problems but had to do it after this time. Service done but two problems. Both back tyres still legal but only just and brake fluid unsafe. Never had this before and garage story is it should be changed every two years. Since they got me out of a pickle with the MOT I do not feel inclined to argue about the brake fluid so it gets changed tomorrow. Tyres no argument as I prefer to have plenty tread. Surely unsafe brake fluid should be part of the MOT.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The tester can't check my brake fluid without removing the front of the car. Suffice to say I don't think he did.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My neighbour used to work for the local council. The gravedigging squad of which he was one was nearly all wiped out plus an oncoming motorist on a single track road. They were carrying their small digger and were probably travelling at a smartish pace when they had to do an quick stop. Total brake failure and only luck stopped them ending up in a river. Eventually traced to moisture in the brake fluid. Worth checking.

presta

Guru
Get your MOT done by the local council. They don't do repairs, so they don't have any ulteriour motive for failing it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don’t have a local council garage. The nearest one would take one or possibly two days to access plus a ferry trip at £27.50 for the car alone plus a return trip of at least 50 miles.

Top Bottom