Made me laugh, how sad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Too true,what bike he was riding or what he was wearing is irrelevant..
True, but someone in jeans, etc on a BSO maybe doesn't know any better and maybe has little cycling skills. Someone on a high-end MTB, clipped in, helmet, lycra should have enough guts to ride on the road.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
There are red lights on the footpath?

No, the barriers to keep pedestrians further from the intersections, meant at each intersection, he was diverting onto the road.

vickster

Legendary Member
True, but someone in jeans, etc on a BSO maybe doesn't know any better and maybe has little cycling skills. Someone on a high-end MTB, clipped in, helmet, lycra should have enough guts to ride on the road.
Why just because he has the money or credit rating to buy a high end bike...look at some of the idiots in sports cars...Jeremy Clarkson for example.

Plenty of tossers on high end road bikes too

Just because people ride BSOs doesn't mean they are ignorant or poorly educated surely?

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Why just because he has the money or credit rating to buy a high end bike...look at some of the idiots in sports cars...Jeremy Clarkson for example.

Plenty of tossers on high end road bikes too

Just because people ride BSOs doesn't mean they are ignorant or poorly educated surely?
You are putting words in my mouth, I never said another about ignorance or education. I was talking about cycling skills, which I'm sure, some Oxbridge graduates lack.

vickster

Legendary Member
You are putting words in my mouth, I never said another about ignorance or education. I was talking about cycling skills, which I'm sure, some Oxbridge graduates lack.

You said they don't know any better, which suggests ignorance in the true sense of the word
"lack of knowledge or information"

What did you actually mean?

Lonestar

Veteran
I would guess a few people on here know my pet hate is BMW drivers but it would be wrong for me to tar all BMW drivers as being bad drivers.:blush:

Bit like all cyclists being classed as red light jumpers really...plus they pay no road tax.:wacko:

Please treat me as if I am leaning disabled. Why did you say this (below)? That is about "all the gear" that makes you hate them relative to people that do not have "all the gear"

One of my pet hates is a cyclist in all the gear riding on the pavement.

While you waited at the lights the rider cut across the lane, went flying over the handlebars, got up and rode off? Which junction?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Goodness, if we can't laugh at other people's misfortune and misery what on earth can we laugh at?

So the funniest thing in the world should be
A grandsire, drunk, insane
Maimed in a motor accident
And enduring moderate pain

"The Anatomy of Humour" Morris Bishop

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I ride in jeans or shorts or work trousers, never lycra, my recently donated to charity MTB was a trek 800 that I got for a tenner and I did up with decent components but kept deliberately scruffy. I also ride my Brompton, Birdy, recently moved on Coppi and many other roadies over the years and my costly Cannondale in jeans, no helmet and flat pedals. I always ride on the road with great aplomb & confidence and have done for decades.

I apologise to the clothing obsessives who will judge my competence harshly for not wishing to go about my daily business looking like Max Wall has got entangled in a billboard.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I came off at walking speed when the front wheel wiped out on a bit of greasy slime on a cycle path on a left hand bend. It was right in front of 3 youths. I was amazed that they didn't laugh, and even asked if I was OK as I lay there, comically still clipped in!

MarkF

Guru
I watched a woman cycling towards me last summer on the canal towpath, she was talking to her husband cycling alongside her, not looking forwards, I could clearly see what what going to happen. And when she hit the mooring post and toppled into the canal, I think I laughed for a week, didn't feel bad about it either.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Bike snob alert!

I'm totally with @shouldbeinbed on this. Clever marketing and dare I say it, snobbery, has created an image of cycling where you cannot be a "real" cyclist if you don't wear full lycra, a pointless plastic hat on your head, designer sunshades, clipless pedals etc. etc..

This guy cannot be a real cyclist, despite having just completed 100 miles. No helmet, no lycra, no clipless pedals, but still loves cycling and has done for half a century.......

65c63639d-2b15-4cb4-83c0-def1808afa43.2.jpg

Edit: BTW, I WILL ride on the pavement - as long as there are no pedestrians using it, which happens quite often in more rural areas. It can be a sensible and safer alternative to riding on a badly surfaced, busy, narrow trunk route (think A726 Hurlet Road between Paisley and Nitshill if you're struggling).

Last edited:
Top Bottom