Made me smile this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gps315

Über Member
Was stopped at a set of reds this morning, along comes an urban warrior, nice chap, cheery "Morning, bloody cold today".

Then suddenly goes past both of us a young lady on a shopper, straight through the red light. Now i see it every day, I don't get upset about it but have a tut under my breath.

The light turn green and off we go, nice pace, soon to catch the young shopper. At this point my urban warrior friend reaches into his pocket and passes over a card to the lady and says "Fine if you want to jump the red light but could you carry one of these with you"

Strange I thought then spotted it was a donor card.

made me smile........:cheers:

Debian

Nice one! :smile:

Provocation

BentMikey said:
RLJing isn't very much more dangerous than general cycling.

I don't quite agree with this oft-repeated claim.

Apparently statistics show that few incidents of cyclist harm are due to RLJing by the cyclist. I would like to ask a lot of hard questions about those stats before I leaned any weight on them.

Even if they are sound, I feel that it is outweighed by the stress RLJing puts on everyone else, cyclists included. Being careful is good, but the more hazards one has to be careful about the sooner it is that you are likely to succumb to one. If I can't reasonably expect to cross an intersection on green without having to avoid RLJ-ing pillocks, or having to avoid motorists swerving to avoid same, then I am sorry, I see a greater risk to me there.

It may feel safer for the RLJ-ers getting ahead of the traffic, but it is just pushing the risk onto others -fellow cyclists and pedestrians.

Also, the prevalence of RLJing erodes the general climate of observance of the Highway Code, and encourages others (motorists included), to feel they can copy.

Finally, it makes motorists hate us, encouraging the lunatic fringe to rant, throw things, close pass, or even run us off the road, and for the rest to share in a general climate of disrespect for cyclists. (Yes they do that anyway, but its one more provocation we can afford not to give).

In my opinion, RLJing is a direct threat to me as a rider, no matter how 'safe' it may supposedly be for those doing it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
Let's not start that again.

The incident was funny!

EDIT too late. Bollocks.

Funny? Sleazy more like....What gps315 didn't tell you is that the "cheery" guy had a naked pic of himself on the back of the donor card (and what he was prepared to "donate") plus his contact details...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
recumbentpanda said:
I don't quite agree with this oft-repeated claim.

Apparently statistics show that few incidents of cyclist harm are due to RLJing by the cyclist. I would like to ask a lot of hard questions about those stats before I leaned any weight on them.

Even if they are sound, I feel that it is outweighed by the stress RLJing puts on everyone else, cyclists included. Being careful is good, but the more hazards one has to be careful about the sooner it is that you are likely to succumb to one. If I can't reasonably expect to cross an intersection on green without having to avoid RLJ-ing pillocks, or having to avoid motorists swerving to avoid same, then I am sorry, I see a greater risk to me there.

It may feel safer for the RLJ-ers getting ahead of the traffic, but it is just pushing the risk onto others -fellow cyclists and pedestrians.

Also, the prevalence of RLJing erodes the general climate of observance of the Highway Code, and encourages others (motorists included), to feel they can copy.

Finally, it makes motorists hate us, encouraging the lunatic fringe to rant, throw things, close pass, or even run us off the road, and for the rest to share in a general climate of disrespect for cyclists. (Yes they do that anyway, but its one more provocation we can afford not to give).

In my opinion, RLJing is a direct threat to me as a rider, no matter how 'safe' it may supposedly be for those doing it.

oops sorry Panda, looks like I stole your comments earlier...wasnt paying attention

mind you, I used far fewer words;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Origamist said:
Funny? Sleazy more like....What gps315 didn't tell you is that the "cheery" guy had a naked pic of himself on the back of the donor card (and what he was prepared to "donate") plus his contact details...

And he'd cut a little hole out to stick his finger through! :smile::biggrin:

Top Bottom