Magicshine MJ-858 Led issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello Fellow CC's

i bought one of these light units from planet X after seeing a recommendation in the found a bargain thread.

i had some dealings with Magicshine when i was in the market for a longer lasting battery pack and there was no problem with communicating with them.

recently, the light unit has packed up, after about 20 full charging/lighting cycles give or take.

i think its the LED as the battery pack that came with the unit seems fine, takes charge etc.

couple of questions: has anyone had any dealing with magicshine recently as ive tried calling and emailing, the call goes dead immediately and the email has not been returned.

and secondly, is there anywhere you good people know of that can check and change the LED.

i know that i can get lights of good quality for reasonable amounts but i like the size etc of this light but may be wasting my time.

cheers in advance

si_c

Guru
I'd contact Planet X and exercise your consumer rights :boxing:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can buy LED 'stars' but you need to know how to solder. I'd buy a new light head - just as cheap. It's the batteries that are the key bit - i.e. you want quality ones. The light heads are a bit 'disposable' - that said I've never had a failed head unit, and I've got quite a few.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I had one of the same light bought from planet x that died after a few uses. I bought it for £35 during a flash sale but I couldn't refund it because I had modified the mounting system. I think that PX had a bad batch from Magicshine.

I also have an MJ-872 that I bought pre-owned but like new condition from ebay that has accompanied me for many rides and still works flawlessly

Magicshine have stopped selling lights that are made out of alloy in favour of their cheaper plastic ones which I also hear have a few issues of their own. Namely the Bluetooth 'enhanced' versions.

Its still worth contacting magicshine to see if they can help you. Don't waste time emailing them. All my emails have gone ignored but when I call them they are always a friendly bunch

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @uphillstruggler, I've got the same light as you, bought from PlanetX at the same time as you, when it was mentioned on the bargain thread.
Having several lights (a girl can never have too many bike lights ^_^) I did not get it out of the box until last winter, when I used it maybe half dozen times, then it failed.
In my case it is the battery pack, I have tested the charger: the battery pack, on close inspection, is dated 2015.
Now, as a the light was £30, and a new battery pack is around £24 from Torchy the battery boy (I would not consider cheap alternatives, and I'm not going to start soldiering battery packs), rescuing the Magic Shine in not economical for me.
I don't like it anyway, too much fuff to remove the pack from the bike for charging when there is USB available.
Soooo ... you can have all what was in the box for free, battery pack is goosed so I won't include that.
PM me your details, I'll be able to get to the post office on Saturday or maybe even tomorrow afternoon.
I'll let you know the postage, you can paypal it to me at your leisure.
:okay:

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
I had one of the same light bought from planet x that died after a few uses. I bought it for £35 during a flash sale but I couldn't refund it because I had modified the mounting system. I think that PX had a bad batch from Magicshine.

I also have an MJ-872 that I bought pre-owned but like new condition from ebay that has accompanied me for many rides and still works flawlessly

Magicshine have stopped selling lights that are made out of alloy in favour of their cheaper plastic ones which I also hear have a few issues of their own. Namely the Bluetooth 'enhanced' versions.

Its still worth contacting magicshine to see if they can help you. Don't waste time emailing them. All my emails have gone ignored but when I call them they are always a friendly bunch

Thanks for your response

I think you're right about the planetx bad batch. I have tried to call magicshine but to no avail. I have dealt with them previously and found them to be helpful and friendly.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
You can get a new cree/led light without batteries for about a tenner. Not worth messing about if you ask me.

Yeah, I've been looking but I want an additional light too. I prefer battery lights as opposed to recharge because I can carry spare batteries but not sunshine.

I rarely use the magicshine but for those occasions when an all night ride is in order, it is good for backup

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Hi @uphillstruggler, I've got the same light as you, bought from PlanetX at the same time as you, when it was mentioned on the bargain thread.
Having several lights (a girl can never have too many bike lights ^_^) I did not get it out of the box until last winter, when I used it maybe half dozen times, then it failed.
In my case it is the battery pack, I have tested the charger: the battery pack, on close inspection, is dated 2015.
Now, as a the light was £30, and a new battery pack is around £24 from Torchy the battery boy (I would not consider cheap alternatives, and I'm not going to start soldiering battery packs), rescuing the Magic Shine in not economical for me.
I don't like it anyway, too much fuff to remove the pack from the bike for charging when there is USB available.
Soooo ... you can have all what was in the box for free, battery pack is goosed so I won't include that.
PM me your details, I'll be able to get to the post office on Saturday or maybe even tomorrow afternoon.
I'll let you know the postage, you can paypal it to me at your leisure.
:okay:

Hi @Pat "5mph"

Thanks its a very generous offer and I'll take you up on it, faith in human kind restored :okay:

I'll pm you.

Top Bottom