Magnetic copper bracelets - I'm a sceptic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Time for a coffee. I'm just ensuring that I am copper replete by having some chocolate to eat...

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
What's the definition of a healthy person?

Someone who hasn't had enough biochemical tests.
Quite

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Given that a placebo effect is a good and positive thing (providing it isn't achieved at some reckless cost) why not just let the copper bracelet wearers be? Tugging at the string of scientific method only reduces the placebo effect and, for chronic conditions like arthritis, what then?
I suspect most in the medical profession categorise these bracelets as "not doing any harm and seems to encourage overall well-being". Which can't be a bad thing, can it?

Globalti

Legendary Member
A placebo story: when I was a student I had a third year job as English Assistant in Spain. I hated it and I was terribly homesick. I noticed that my hair had gone dull and was falling out in handfuls so at Christmas went to see my GP in England. He said I was under stress so gave me some nice little tablets, which made me feel much much better. On the day I left Spain I left the tabs on my bedside table and didn't remember them until a good hour later. Much later I told my sister, who is a nurse, about them and she told me they were just sugar placebos. A lot of reserch has been done to find the most effective size and colour for placebos and generally certain colours are better as uppers and other colours for or downers.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That's not what was mentioned upthread. The claim, such as it was, related to air travel.
OK, that particular person believes it helps them with air travel. Perhaps it does, scientifically I doubt it does anything except set off alarms at the scanners, but if it makes them feel better and they are calmer whilst flying this 'it works'.

Stompier

Given that a placebo effect is a good and positive thing (providing it isn't achieved at some reckless cost) why not just let the copper bracelet wearers be? Tugging at the string of scientific method only reduces the placebo effect and, for chronic conditions like arthritis, what then?

If people are convinced they work, then they shouldn't let facts get in the way of their beliefs.

I suspect most in the medical profession categorise these bracelets as "not doing any harm and seems to encourage overall well-being". Which can't be a bad thing, can it?

'I suspect' sounds a bit like 'I believe'.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

However, if you want take a look at people making money from dishonest marketing, you may want to start with cough medicine, cold and flu cures, etc
I'm yet to find anything that claims to cure colds and flu... they all treat the symptoms whilst the cold runs its course. :rolleyes:

harking back to magnetic bracelets being good for somehow correcting the body's natural magnetic field... that's what the bloke on the market told her, probably after he'd failed to flog her one by going down the arching joints or limbs route. One sales pitch for the elderly, another for the bohemian types.

winjim

Smash the cistern
OK, that particular person believes it helps them with air travel. Perhaps it does, scientifically I doubt it does anything except set off alarms at the scanners, but if it makes them feel better and they are calmer whilst flying this 'it works'.
Maybe, that's your definition. In order to proceed, I would need to agree one with the person making the claim. Ain't gonna happen. Incidentally, I would say that even if it makes only one person feel better, for one condition, in one specific circumstance, as placebo, that could still be considered, scientifically, to 'work'. It just means that to investigate it we would need to look at the placebo effect rather than any property of copper or magnets. It's still science.

Top Bottom