Magnic Light claims new form of no-contact bicycle dynamo lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Despite the continuous advances being made in lithium-ion battery technology, many cyclists still prefer to use dynamo-powered lights on their bikes - there's no having to remember to recharge the batteries, no subsequent forgetting to put the light back on the bike, and no worrying about the batteries unexpectedly giving out mid-ride. Dynamos, however, have their own drawbacks. Friction-powered sidewall units slow the bike down and wear out the tire, while dynamo hubs must be built into the wheel, and add to the bike's revolving weight. Now, however, German inventor Dirk Strothmann has created what he claims is a better alternative - a small, no-contact, self-contained dynamo bike light.
continue reading here.
http://www.gizmag.com/magnic-light-contactless-dynamo/21494/

Also there's a cool little video on the page demonstrating the device. Here's hoping they manage to release it eventually.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamodirk/magnic-light-get-new-energy?ref=category

Just read the pledges. I am amazed what some people will pay for the initial product in a long line of new technology without seeing exactly what the pros and cons of it are. For example, exactly how long will the product last? How will you change the LEDs if they break or wear out?

I think the majority of the pledges are from people in the US. Says it all.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I thought id seen it on CC before, but not sure if im just thinking of something similar. IIRC the cool part was that because it mounts on the brake, when you brake the light moves closer to the rim and gets brighter, a sort of brake light effect.

Recycler

I thought id seen it on CC before, but not sure if im just thinking of something similar. IIRC the cool part was that because it mounts on the brake, when you brake the light moves closer to the rim and gets brighter, a sort of brake light effect.

But as the brakes slow you down it gets dimmer! Seems a bit self defeating. :rolleyes:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's just a repackaged Reelight as far as I can make out.
Magnets and coils, moving past each other, induced current lights up an LED. Imagine designing a dynamo with a dirty great gap between the rotor and stator, and there you have it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I saw this on kick-starter a few months back and was tempted..

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They don't give a steady light - it's a flash as the magnet (on the wheel) passes the coil (on the forks).
They're a substitute for a flashing LED light, not for a dynamo IMHO.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Anyone have any experience with these Reelights? They seem like a neat solution for anyone who doesn't want to fit a dynamo hub, or have bottle dynamo wires all over the place.
They're adequate for being legal in well-lit streets (where you don't really need lights other than to be legal), but I wouldn't want to use them in any other way. I see them regularly on my commute.

The new lights seem to be different in that the bike wheel acts as the "magnet" and there's no need to fit another one.

Arch

Married to Night Train
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamodirk/magnic-light-get-new-energy?ref=category

Just read the pledges. I am amazed what some people will pay for the initial product in a long line of new technology without seeing exactly what the pros and cons of it are. For example, exactly how long will the product last? How will you change the LEDs if they break or wear out?

I think the majority of the pledges are from people in the US. Says it all.

Have you any idea how long it takes an LED to 'wear out'? Clue, it's thousands, or tens of thousands, of hours.

Do you have LED battery lights? How did you plan to change the LEDs in that?

Says it all.... ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Have you any idea how long it takes an LED to 'wear out'? Clue, it's thousands, or tens of thousands, of hours.

Do you have LED battery lights? How did you plan to change the LEDs in that?

Says it all.... ;)

LED and US comment aside.. Mathew is right in one respect... investing in a product you've not seen a great deal of isnt great business sense.

I digress... Reelights are good enough for urban areas imo. I've seen them and they are pretty good for the money/set up.

Top Bottom