Make my basic Sirrus faster/lighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I've had my Sirrus Elite for about 6 months and I also want to get more speed out of it.

I note that wheels and tyres would seem to make the biggest improvements but wondered whether changing the crankset, bottom bracket, sprockets and chain will result in any significant improvement in speed.

If so, any recommendations?

Thanks... sorry if I've hijacked your thread geopat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
008 said:
I've had my Sirrus Elite for about 6 months and I also want to get more speed out of it.

I note that wheels and tyres would seem to make the biggest improvements but wondered whether changing the crankset, bottom bracket, sprockets and chain will result in any significant improvement in speed.

If so, any recommendations?

Thanks... sorry if I've hijacked your thread geopat.

No would be my answer, just replace with a higher spoec if you wish when they wear out. Better spec gives less weight and maybe better wear up to a point, slightly smoother bottom bracket too, but no great speed improvements. Less weight on a bike m,akes it feel more agile as there is less mass to accelerate and drag up hills, but compared to weight savings on wheels and tyres there is no comparison. Wheels and tyres are the way to go.

Just change tyres and tubes to something like 25mm Michelin Pro Race 2's (Cheap on Parkers) and feel the difference in ride and speed. You'll maybe sacrifice a little P*ncture resistance, but they're worth it.
Change to lighter and more aero wheels as well and you'll fly.

buggi

Bird Saviour
in order of appearance i've been told by a professional rider that the following makes the bike fastest.

frame
wheels
groupset

so out of your budget you should aim to be spending most on frame, then the wheels and then the groupet. the best way to upgrade your bike to make it faster is definitely the wheels.

now, i don't have much experience of wheels, but Cycling Weekly did a test of the top 18 wheels.

results were:

-Compag Shamal £680
-Zipp 303 £1250
-Fulcrum Racing Zero £750
with not much to choose inbetween those 3.

Compag Neutron was base-line fastest in test and cost £384.99

as most will probably carry their technology down to the next level i reckon you'd be best going for the compag neutron or Fulcrum Racing 3 (being Fulcrum's mid range costing about £350 and a review in cycling plus rated them not much different but £200 quid cheaper than Fulcrum Racing 1)

(ps saw Fulcrum Zero's on ebay for about £580 "buy it now". you could bid for them and try to get them for less)

I was in my lbs over the weekend (needed a new chain, brake blocks & front wheel truing fwiw) and asked the guy his opinion on upgrading the groupset when it starts to wear out.

His advice was to simply go with Sora as it would last longer and the minimal weight saving wouldn't make any difference in performance, especially as I only use my bike for commuting.

He also suggested I change the tyres to Schwalbe Stelvio Plus 700x23 to gain more speed with the added bonus of decent puncture protection.

Is this good advice? as he could easily have persuaded me that higher spec parts (e.g. 105 upwards) are better and will do wonders for the bike... at a price! If so, are higher spec parts just for the 'bling'?

Any comments??

Tynan

Veteran
seems to be a fair amount of snobbery about gears but it makes sense to me for commuting anyway

tyres are the biggest and easiest upgrade to speed, 23 is skiiny, might be a bit harsh

I'm sure the pricier parts are better but very much at a cost

glen

008, have a link or phone number for your LBS? I'd like some Schwalbe Stelvio Plus 700x23 tyres at some stage before next winter. Cannot find any stockists online.

glen... my lbs is a small independent retailer with no website. Not sure if they'll do mail order either. fwiw, they are Broadway Bikes in Hendon, NW London - tel - 02082024671.

btw, they didn't actually have any in stock but said I'd probably have to wait a couple of weeks if i wanted them. They did have the 700x25 though.

hope this helps.

domtyler

Über Member
You will find that some of the cheaper components you get in the bottom of the range group sets make them feel cheap and nasty, for instance a lot of the parts are upgraded from plastic to metal as you move toward the mid level.

Top Bottom