Make way for the stupid questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Okay, first time owner of a hybrid so lets commence with the silliness...

Is this a standard presta valve or a long one?
20140707_210515_resized.jpg

I've only ever had schrader valves so I don't know!
Also, I am looking for spare tubes...my tyre size is 700 x 35c. Some say 700 x 28-35 or 35-45...does it matter which one I get?

That's it for now but check back soon, there's bound to be more to follow!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's a standard valve. Either tube will do, the 28-35 will be lighter and rotating weight makes a difference so I'd plump for the smaller.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@ScotiaLass watch them valves, they bend so easy compared to MB Schraeder valves: if this happens gently unbend using pliers.
You need to push the pump firmly in to inflate, it takes a bit of practice after being used to MB valves imo.
Or it could be that I'm just inept :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
@ScotiaLass watch them valves, they bend so easy compared to MB Schraeder valves: if this happens gently unbend using pliers.
You need to push the pump firmly in to inflate, it takes a bit of practice after being used to MB valves imo.
Or it could be that I'm just inept :laugh:
I try to support the valve to stop it moving around too much when using a pump.

Okay, first time owner of a hybrid so lets commence with the silliness...

Is this a standard presta valve or a long one?
View attachment 49758

I've only ever had schrader valves so I don't know!
Also, I am looking for spare tubes...my tyre size is 700 x 35c. Some say 700 x 28-35 or 35-45...does it matter which one I get?

That's it for now but check back soon, there's bound to be more to follow!
The valve shown is a standard length and it should suffice for the rim shown but if you have deeper rims you will need to buy longer valves. Depending on what type of inflator you use (pump) take care when attaching the pump i.e. if it is the push on type hold the end of the pump and the tyre together to stop movement. Over 70 years ago my old dad taught me how to pump up tyres and the way you do it if you are right handed is to attach the pump and then put your left elbow on your knee and the hold the end of the pump and just pump. Probably most guys use compressed air but it is no good when the air is all gone so always carry a pump too. That is when you find out who your friends are too if you don't have a pump.

Learnincurve

I've gone for the 35-45 for my hybrid, mostly because I had some larger tyres to play with, normally the 35s live on there. It's pretty much whatever is lighter if you won't be swapping the tires for thinner/fatter.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Oaklegs we are talking about track pumps: both @ScotiaLass and I need 2 hands and 2 feet to operate a track pump :laugh:

@Oaklegs we are talking about track pumps: both @ScotiaLass and I need 2 hands and 2 feet to operate a track pump :laugh:
I have two track pumps but there was no mention of these in the original post and of course people are more likely to get a puncture when out on the road I think. So carry a pump and a spare tube with you when on the road. Or a mobile phone and hopefully you will have a helpful mother who might come and get you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It looks like a standard 42mm valve to me.

That little collar needs to be removed and thrown away or screwed up snug against the rim. It is there to prevent the valve from sinking into the rim when you push the pump head onto it and many people like to ditch it because if not tight, it can rattle annoyingly.

Top Bottom