Making Models From Scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Yes @Andy in Germany - that helps a LOT. :okay: You've definitely given me options to consider going forward, plus some ideas about how to make some of the other parts.

I'm still a ways from starting the "making" side of this, not to mention that it's still much too cold to putter in the garage for any length of time. And I can't do the big glue-based bits in the house on account of two nosy felines who have a tendency to lend a paw with craft projects. De-glueing a cat is most definitely not on my agenda. :laugh:

I've cut complicated shapes like that in the past when I've had access to a band saw, but I think I'd struggle with a jigsaw. Straight lines though, aren't a problem. I might take a hybrid approach and do the more difficult angled supports as separate pieces to avoid any breakages-during-making. As an engineer, I know from experience that butt joints aren't terribly stable, but I've got some fairly heavy gauge wire which should do well in lieu of the takeaway box handle, and some nice pieces of salvaged floorboards as well as assorted bits of plywood.. Which means I'll have to buy some fine drill bits, because I don't think I have any that are smaller than 3mm...

And it's frustrating that at the moment, the two places where I can get decent (i.e. not cheap tat) craft and modelling supplies locally are currently shut as being non-essential. I could buy online I suppose, but I just don't have enough experience to know exactly what I need or should be looking for.

I first need to get the whole chassis / suspension / driveshaft / wheels / hubs layout sorted anyway.

classic33

Leg End Member
Wines, B&Q and Wilkos/Wilkinsons have some of the dremel type tools in, as well as their own brands. Means they'll have some small drill bits in.

B&Q also carry sectional aluminum.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you use @Andy in Germany idea of laminating 5 layers of card, is it possible to laminate 3 layers, then add the wire at the right points, then add the top layer, wait for that to cure, then flip over add wire on the other side & then put the 5th layer on. Then build the arms in the same way that way you'd not have to drill any holes.

ren531

Über Member
I scratch built this from a set of plans only, making every fixture and fitting myself mainly out of scrap bits off cuts and only buying what wood I had to like the planking for the hull and decks.
I have to say now that it took me 10 years to complete it 2007 to 2017 because I had one rule don't do it if your not in the mood, i guess i wasn't in the mood a lot.
But I would agree with what others have said the building of it was just so enjoyable, it mattered not how long it took, watching this beautiful graceful looking vessel grow was bewitching.
IMG_20160813_084307.jpg

DSC00592.JPG

louies helious2 017.jpg

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I scratch built this from a set of plans only, making every fixture and fitting myself mainly out of scrap bits off cuts and only buying what wood I had to like the planking for the hull and decks.
I have to say now that it took me 10 years to complete it 2007 to 2017 because I had one rule don't do it if your not in the mood, i guess i wasn't in the mood a lot.
But I would agree with what others have said the building of it was just so enjoyable, it mattered not how long it took, watching this beautiful graceful looking vessel grow was bewitching. View attachment 571821

View attachment 571822

View attachment 571823

Wow! :notworthy:

I do a lot of craft - mainly painting and sewing - just not modelling. That's new for me. Both the "planning" and the "doing" are enjoyable. And good for my head as well. I like nothing better than to lose myself in the moment. :blush:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Wines, B&Q and Wilkos/Wilkinsons have some of the dremel type tools in, as well as their own brands. Means they'll have some small drill bits in.

B&Q also carry sectional aluminum.

I have to swing by Wilkos tomorrow anyway, so I'll take a look. :okay: They're usually pretty good with tools, and failing that, I have a really good agricultural engineering place up the road. And there's a Screwfix not too far away.

Alas, the nearest B&Q is in Cambridge, so that's off the agenda.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
If you use @Andy in Germany idea of laminating 5 layers of card, is it possible to laminate 3 layers, then add the wire at the right points, then add the top layer, wait for that to cure, then flip over add wire on the other side & then put the 5th layer on. Then build the arms in the same way that way you'd not have to drill any holes.

I'd thought about doing that for some of the bits, given it's how you add fixture points to composite components. :smile: It's looking like joining stuff securely is going to be the biggest challenge.

On the plus side, I have found a sheet of 8mm ply and two good sheets of 5mm ply that I can use, as well as the wooden core from a bolt of fabric - which happens to be the exact diameter I need for the wheels. :becool:

Last edited:

ren531

Über Member
Wow! :notworthy:

I do a lot of craft - mainly painting and sewing - just not modelling. That's new for me. Both the "planning" and the "doing" are enjoyable. And good for my head as well. I like nothing better than to lose myself in the moment. :blush:
Agreed, this is one of the few things that I have ever found that I could totally lose myself in completely and its a nice state of mind.

ren531

Über Member
Its quite a difficult structure to make strong enough, perhaps using plywood for the main base and then dowel for the struts, cutting slots into the ply to support them and glueing them together that way it's strong you have good control over getting the angles correct and perhaps the real thing uses tubing? and would look more original. I think this is how I would try.

simongt

Guru
I'm sure someone on here makes much finer models than I can
Oh indeed - ! There's a lot of modelling 'anoraks' out there who go to, in my view, ridiculous lengths to 'get it right' and will tell you that your model isn't quite the right shade of whatever colour for that particular year, or it doesn't have quite the right markings on etc., etc..
My take is that it's MY model and I'll finish it in whatever way pleases me - ! ^_^ :thumbsup: :rofl:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Its quite a difficult structure to make strong enough, perhaps using plywood for the main base and then dowel for the struts, cutting slots into the ply to support them and glueing them together that way it's strong you have good control over getting the angles correct and perhaps the real thing uses tubing? and would look more original. I think this is how I would try.

Yeah, the real thing uses steel box section in assorted sizes. :okay:

The chassis and roll cage will be challenging to make, no doubt about that. I also have an assortment of heavy duty wire knocking about in the garage, so glue-soaked paper strips wrapped over wire is also a possibility for the metalwork.

Part of the issue I have at the moment is that my information is incomplete. I'm dealing with photos from the mid-80s, many of which aren't that good. So at the moment, it's all planning and sorting drawings. And with each photo I find, I can work out a bit more of the detail.

As an interesting aside, each Higman is unique, and the chap who built them used to destroy the drawings after each car was completed, so it's one heck of an exercise in reverse engineering. :blush:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Oh indeed - ! There's a lot of modelling 'anoraks' out there who go to, in my view, ridiculous lengths to 'get it right' and will tell you that your model isn't quite the right shade of whatever colour for that particular year, or it doesn't have quite the right markings on etc., etc..
My take is that it's MY model and I'll finish it in whatever way pleases me - ! ^_^ :thumbsup: :rofl:

It's exactly the same in the classic car scene. Which is basically this, but on a bigger scale. :laugh:

Top Bottom