Making Models From Scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are happy enough to create the CAD file yourself, either a kind CC'er will print it for you or worse case a commercial operation.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
If you are happy enough to create the CAD file yourself, either a kind CC'er will print it for you or worse case a commercial operation.

I could do, I guess. :smile:

But I will make a confession. I hate CAD with a vengeance - rather odd for someone with an engineering background. Even though I've generated complete race car and road car chassis models in various packages, I'm very much a pencil-and-paper girl. :blush:

I could do, I guess. :smile:

But I will make a confession. I hate CAD with a vengeance - rather odd for someone with an engineering background. Even though I've generated complete race car and road car chassis models in various packages, I'm very much a pencil-and-paper girl. :blush:

I have CAD on my cabinet makers certificate having endured it in college, but I don't think the right way to make it work; fortunately they only recorded that I'd attended, not how bad I was.

In the end I was the only person in my year who designed my final piece with pencil and paper.

Last edited:
This is the little project which had me scratching my head .
It is Ferrari 512 M. I was going to make a 1/32 scale model to begin with . The side view looked straight forward, a bit like a Porsche 917 short tail . That's what I thought until I saw some overhead views . The air intakes for the rear radiators run through the doors into the rear 1/4 panel and up over the rear wheel arch and exit on the rear deck area.
I figured out that it would be best to make the centre section with the angled ducting and then fit an outer skin from the front wing to just beyond the door to cover it .
For ease of making It I am using balsa wood .

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_155744.jpg
    IMG_20210203_155744.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210203_155648.jpg
    IMG_20210203_155648.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 10
D

Deleted member 26715

I have the simple solution, forget this manby pamby models, go full size, get out the angry grinder & welding torch

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I have the simple solution, forget this manby pamby models, go full size, get out the angry grinder & welding torch

Making replica classic Superstox from the 70s and 80s and then racing them is actually a thing. :smile:

'sppose I *could* brush up my welding skills, but it's been a while...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I have CAD on my cabinet makers certificate having endured it in college, but I don't think the right way to make it work; fortunately they only recorded that I'd attended, not how bad I was.

In the end I was the only person in my year who designed my final piece with pencil and paper.

Although I must stress, I haven't any *RECENT* experience with CAD, so I've no idea whether the packages available are an improvement over the ones that used to drive me up the wall back in the day. I can do it, it's just that I don't really like it. :blush:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
This is the little project which had me scratching my head .
It is Ferrari 512 M. I was going to make a 1/32 scale model to begin with . The side view looked straight forward, a bit like a Porsche 917 short tail . That's what I thought until I saw some overhead views . The air intakes for the rear radiators run through the doors into the rear 1/4 panel and up over the rear wheel arch and exit on the rear deck area.
I figured out that it would be best to make the centre section with the angled ducting and then fit an outer skin from the front wing to just beyond the door to cover it .
For ease of making It I am using balsa wood .

Sounds like the glue-soaked card route may be the one to go...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I've finally put pencil, then craft knife to card. Starting with the tyres, as I've realised that I can't make the wheel as a single assembly.

Am using double thickness corrugated card to get the main carcass, and then will do the rest of the shape with ordinary cereal packet type stuff. You're not joking about the amount of glue I'm needing @Andy in Germany :ohmy:

I haven't stuck myself to anything yet.

I'll use 2-part epoxy to smooth off the surfaces when this lot's had the chance to dry. And it's drying right solid. :okay:

Top Bottom