Malt whisky suggestions wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have £50 to spend.
I want (obviously) a good smooth whisky.
NOT peaty.
A sweeti(ish) taste.
I was going for Glenmorangie quinta ruban but the 12 year is discontinued and the 14 year old gets some poor reviews.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Not peaty... might be difficult!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I'd go for this:

https://www.kwmwine.com/en/Redbreast-12-Year-Old-Single-Pot-Still-Irish-Whiskey/m-1624.aspx
Irish single pot using malted and unmalted grain. Yummy.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
a good Macallan will do you. Highland Park as suggested above is another good one.

Its a real shame you dont like peat because for £50, i would have snapped up a Lagavulin which is absolutely sublime.

Bushmills, balvenie doublewood....

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I have £50 to spend.
I want (obviously) a good smooth whisky.
NOT peaty.
A sweeti(ish) taste.
I was going for Glenmorangie quinta ruban but the 12 year is discontinued and the 14 year old gets some poor reviews.

I've had a few bottles of the Quinta Ruban. Back then it was the 12 yo and a superb drop.

I can highly recommend one of the Old Pulteney range if you can find it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
a good Macallan will do you. Highland Park as suggested above is another good one.

Its a real shame you dont like peat because for £50, i would have snapped up a Lagavulin which is absolutely sublime.

Bushmills, balvenie doublewood....
The 16yo I trust, I would imagine its more than that by now.

I used to stay regularly at a small hotel in Oosterhout in the Netherlands. I got to know Few of the regulars, the staff and Arnold the owner. One time I walked in on my first night and asked Johnny the crazy barman for a beer (Jupiler as usual) and I usually had a freepoured Jamesons. I spotted the bottle of Lagavulin 16 yo and said I'd have that.

One freepour later and I must have had just over half a10oz highball glass of the nectar.

Including the beer that cost me a little over €5.

Good old Johnny.

Fram

Macallan, Glenmorangie, Highland Park: they're all good. Scapa if within price. I met an Aussie holidaymaker in Knoydart once who raved about Dalwhinnie.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The 16yo I trust, I would imagine its more than that by now.

I used to stay regularly at a small hotel in Oosterhout in the Netherlands. I got to know Few of the regulars, the staff and Arnold the owner. One time I walked in on my first night and asked Johnny the crazy barman for a beer (Jupiler as usual) and I usually had a freepoured Jamesons. I spotted the bottle of Lagavulin 16 yo and said I'd have that.

One freepour later and I must have had just over half a10oz highball glass of the nectar.

Including the beer that cost me a little over €5.

Good old Johnny.

Not at all. the going price is £50. Sometimes its £48 or £49 -- it mostly depends on where you get it from but I certainly havent seen any silly prices for that.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yet another vote for Orkney's gold, Highland Park.
As previously posted, the peaty flavours tend to come from the western isles, especially Islay. I agree that they are an acquired taste; one that I am ashamed to admit (as an islander originally) I have never acquired after 58 years!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Macallan, Glenmorangie, Highland Park: they're all good. Scapa if within price. I met an Aussie holidaymaker in Knoydart once who raved about Dalwhinnie.
Thanks.
I find the standard Glenmorangie or Highland Park OK but they dont really tickle the taste buds. TBH not a lot better than the Aldi malt.
I want something special

Top Bottom