Mamil - The Movie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Are you suggesting that that 'certain attitude' is a bad one? Surely confidence and experience are both 'good things' when they inform behaviour. Or maybe (and entirely your call) you prefer to associate with guys who lack confidence and are inexperienced?
I think @Dogtrousers explained it better than I could.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It’s a bit of fun...cycling’s a broad church.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
From the horrible noise of crunching bikes and the talk of crashes even in that trailer, I'd say that it looks like those featured in the film are more like over-confident and their experiences are pretty bad.

But as we've already covered repeatedly, I really don't understand the attraction of riding in circles not to go anywhere much, never visiting a race unless you're racing it or been pressganged into marshalling, never visiting an apple festival, never riding up to watch a parade, never riding to the fireworks displays, never riding to go walk along a beach or in a forest or have a picnic. Just riding the same loops with the same coffee stops month after month, sprinting for the same stava segments and so on, seems so bleak to me. I guess this is a film for people who think "Britain by Bike" contains too much sightseeing and not enough cycling.
You have covered it repeatedly but I think you're still missing the point. Or two.

The big point is that, just because it's not your bag, that doesn't mean that it isn't a perfectly valid way for other people to spend their time. Why the need to judge? I see no attraction in Morris Dancing, but my ends regularly fill up during the summer with people dressed as creepy uncles playing freestyle hopscotch.

You're also mixing up these rides with racing club runs. Racing club runs are exactly that - training for racing with chain gangs, through-and-outs and dropping anyone with a mechanical. Join a racing club and you might be expected to show your face at a TT turn once or twice a year. Fairy Nuff.

Although you'll find a few MAMILs in that environment, that's not what this video is about. These rides and clubs are social. By that I don't mean they're necessarily gentle pootles, but their primary purpose is the company of others of a like-mind. The activity is cycling but it could be anything that builds and maintains relationships - football, fishing, morris dancing, anything. Sometimes there'll be a bit of competition and Strava-brag, but all that is secondary and no different to who's scored the most goals in a season or who has the biggest bladder on a stick.

Every Monday I go out for an hour or so's ride with a mate of mine. We go full MAMIL, dress up in our best Castelli and Rapha, jump on our water-soluble road bikes and sometimes we try to tear each others legs off up hills. But we also talk about jobs, family, our kids, the football and all the other shoot that makes up our lives. I can't see anything to criticise in that.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Every Monday I go out for an hour or so's ride with a mate of mine. We're go full MAMIL, dress up in our best Castelli and Rapha, jump on our water-soluble road bikes and sometimes we try to tear each others legs off up hills. But we also talk about jobs, family, our kids, the football and all the other shoot that makes up our lives. I can't see anything to criticise in that.
I'm not criticising it. I'm just saying I don't see the point and, moreover, I don't think a film about it will be much good, which is what appears to be in the OP. It looks more depressing than the presumably-now-defunct "The Club by Bike Channel" series.

Cronorider

I'm not criticising it. I'm just saying I don't see the point and, moreover, I don't think a film about it will be much good, which is what appears to be in the OP. It looks more depressing than the presumably-now-defunct "The Club by Bike Channel" series.

Good grief. @Bollo explains it clearly and perfectly in plain language and you still don't see the point?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Good grief. @Bollo explains it clearly and perfectly in plain language and you still don't see the point?
Or to put it another way: I don't see the attraction of doing that and especially not the attraction of watching a film of other people doing it. I'm not saying it's an invalid thing for consenting adults to do among themselves, but why the fark make such a bleak film?

Top Bottom