Man Bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k-dog

Just wear a cycling jersey, and bung everything in the rear pockets!

I was looking at a Nike t-shirt last week which I quite liked. It was just a cream polo shirt with 'tour de france' stitched on the front.

And the 3 pockets on the back. Could actually be handy.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
I don't understand why:

1. you don't just call them 'bags'; and,
2. anyone has a problem with carrying a bag.

What is the reluctance supposed to imply? That you are too macho to do the shopping? Or that you've got servants to carry things for you?

You're absolutely right of course. I call it a man bag to differentiate it from a larger bag; only need a smaller one, or need a smaller one in addition to a larger one when travelling. Hand bag doesn't sound right for a man and could be confused with an Italian clutch bag for example which can't quite hold enough and isn't quite secure enough. Big manly strap for me please. :ohmy::biggrin:

Thanks for the River Island tip Tete.

Flying_Monkey said:
I don't understand why:

What is the reluctance supposed to imply? That you are too macho to do the shopping? Or that you've got servants to carry things for you?

Agree completely with you, FM!
FFS! I thought a man bag was the 'scrotum'! :tongue:

Same thing with 'man flu' and 'man boobs'! FFS! :biggrin: :ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I feel more macho with a small rucksack slung casually over one shoulder.A man bag and a cashmere sweater tied round the neck and a packet of Gitanes in the top pocket is just so seventies! But whatever floats your boat ChrissyKH:ohmy::biggrin:

dodgy

Renard said:
Who says? :ohmy::biggrin:

/busted :tongue:

bonj2

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Apart from keys, wallet and phone surely there is nothing else to worry about carrying ? It would be a cold day in hell before I would ever go out with a "man bag". It's just not right !
Sunglasses, camera, mp3 player, fags (if you smoke), book/mag/newspaper/leaflet/other literature etc, drink, ...etc etc

Flying_Monkey said:
I don't understand why:

don't know about (2), but (1): because it could refer to any type of bag - carrier bag, rucksack, pannier bag, etc. 'Man bag' identifies it as the male equivalent of a women's hand bag - whether this identification is necessary or not is another matter, but that's presumably the purpose of the term.

Tetedelacourse

There's just enough room in mine to hold my lunch, a hardback book, my mobile phone(s), wallet, keys, ipod with headphones and the scud mag. Plus if a big brute (eg from Felixstowe) comes at you with his tackety boots and Old Spice hum, if he pays no attention to the Razzle then you can rattle him round his big manly jaws with it (while issuing a high-pitched HAAAAAAA-YAH!)

Noodley

Flying_Monkey said:
I don't understand why:

A "man bag" is a fashion statement/lifestyle choice - a straight forward "bag" is something to carry stuff in. :biggrin:

There is no need for most of the stuff carried in a "man bag", and they are filled with needless stuff which could otherwise be left at home or carried in one's hand.

A proper bag is for "real" stuff like shopping. A "man bag" would only permit the purchase of a small tin of aloe vera/johoba hand rub which could fit neatly beside the small selection of other useless shite..:biggrin::tongue:

Noodley

Tetedelacourse said:
There's just enough room in mine to hold my lunch, a hardback book, my mobile phone(s), wallet, keys, ipod with headphones and the scud mag. Plus if a big brute (eg from Felixstowe) comes at you with his tackety boots and Old Spice hum, if he pays no attention to the Razzle then you can rattle him round his big manly jaws with it (while issuing a high-pitched HAAAAAAA-YAH!)

Yep, see what I mean:

lunch - carry it in your hand
hardback book (oh, get you and your "hardback" book! :biggrin::biggrin:) - same or other hand
mobile - pocket
keys - pocket
ipod - pocket
wallet - back pocket

or alternatively - a supermarket bag. Wear an overcoat and flat cap and trudge about a la Eric Morcombe..waggling your specs every now and again and shouting wey-hey!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Noodley said:
or alternatively - a supermarket bag.

Spot on, one of those Tesco's bag for life (well at least a couple of months) will do just the job. Man bag, it's just plain wrong :biggrin:

Top Bottom