Man killed by Olympic Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Is that where it happened?

Easy to see how it ended in the poor man's demise, even though he should have held back.
it may be that the bus overtook him.

PK99

Legendary Member
it may be that the bus overtook him.

may be you did not see this account at the time:

A fellow unidentified cyclist, who claimed to be riding on his way home next to the dead rider and gave a graphic account of the accident.
Writing on a riding blog, he said: "As we approached a bus he went inside while I held back.
"The lights changed as he was in the buses blind spot and as he was attempting to go straight the bus turned left.
"He didn't really have anywhere to go and no time to do anything anyway... he got pulled under the wheel and dragged around 10 feet or so [all sic]."
He added: "As soon as the bus was definitely stopped i crawled under to him from the other side and i was immediately aware that i didn't think he'd make it.
"I crawled up to him and tried to talk to him. I asked him his name and told him he was going to be alright. He didn't say anything because i don't think he could, but he looked straight at me.
"I did my best to look him straight in the eyes and tell him he was going to be ok. He was so afraid. Maybe half a minute later i could tell he'd passed. I waited there for a moment and then crawled back out."
"It is so dangerous out there guys. But for a single choice that poor guy would have made it home tonight [all sic].

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't think, PK99, that the blog, which I had read, is specific.

I'm not saying that I know what happened - and we may never know. I do know, however, is that the design of the road is poor.

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't think, PK99, that the blog, which I had read, is specific.

I'm not saying that I know what happened - and we may never know. I do know, however, is that the design of the road is poor.

I think we know three things:

• The road design is poor
  • The cycle facilities (shared pavement avoiding the hazard) are poorly signed
  • The cyclist was ill advised to cycle as he did.

I cycle past this spot almost every day. There's a sign warning cyclists and flowers taped to a post.

Yet still I see cyclists pushing up the inside of large vehicles attempting to go straight on the inside of a left-turn labelled lane all the time.

I saw one do it a few weeks ago and the coach stopped and beeped (I guess drivers are rightly extra careful there) to avoid hitting him. I pointed out the flowers for the poor guy who was crushed (supposedly) doing what he did - he looked at me like I was an idiot for daring to tell him anything.

subaqua

What’s the point

what is even sadder is that the "online emails" i have sent to Hackney about the poor design and removal of cycling facilities in the 18 months prior to the games were acknowleged as i had call backs and I was informed that it was out of Hackneys hands as it was the ODA/LOCOG who needed to deal with the issues and Hackneys cycle team were happy with proposals. So the ODA were very aware a death was likely if they continued. Volker traffic management also didn't give a flying one when i asked them to ensure tempoorary lanes were set out properly. I used the near miss system on the park and nothing was done.

some legacy

Top Bottom