Man killed by Olympic Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiberius Baltar

Horrible horrible incident but from what I've read such an easy thing to avoid by not squeezing up the inside of a large vehicle.

My sympathies are with his family.

dawesome

Haven't got the stats to hand but I remember reading that in London it is a significant factor and for whatever reason said report highlighted the fact that women were more likely to do this than men.

This isn't the report I was thinking of but does highlight that women seem to ride into the blindspot (call it filtering rather than undertaking if you wish) more often.

That is a dangerously ill-informed article based on far too low a poll. It also doesn't blame undertaking, it simply notes KSI rates on the nearside. Every London cyclist has experiencea left-hook- the cyclist did nothing wrong. There was a lot of anger about that article,, very sloppy reporting.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That is a dangerously ill-informed article based on far too low a poll. It also doesn't blame undertaking, it simply notes KSI rates on the nearside. Every London cyclist has experiencea left-hook- the cyclist did nothing wrong. There was a lot of anger about that article,, very sloppy reporting.
Strange, the selection of comments posted doesn't include much anger.

I agree lots of London cyclists have experienced left hooks where the cyclist has done nothing wrong. I would hazard a guess that lots of London cyclists have also seen complete numpties going down the inside of a moving vehicle whilst it approaches a junction or down the side of a larger vehicle stationary at lights or a junction.

I am not suggesting that the poor guy last night did anything wrong but you need to move away from this idea that all cyclists are blameless. I will happily put money on some of the accidents included in the stats being because the cyclist has put themselves at greater risk by deliberately entering the blind spot of vehicle.

martint235

Dog on a bike

More than happy to distance myself from something I've never said.
I would say that this implies blamelessness on behalf of cyclists.

subaqua

What’s the point
I used to ride this section everyday until i left the park. it used to be a better layout but to assist the 'lympics the layour has been changed several times in the last 2 years. the current layout has removed the cycle lane from the the road and tried to force cyclists onto a shared path which forces you to cross 2 sliproads , one on and one off the A12. then crossing Homerton Rd junction. I spoke to somebody in hackney council cycle team 12 months ago and was fobbed off with its down to the ODA , so I wrote to Hackney council cycling team just before the layout was changed for games mode asking why the cycle lanes were removed. I haven't had a response yet and i have a feeling i won't now.
its a tragedy that should not have happened for several reasons now i have read reports , the one on road CC was fairly traumatic.

RIP

RhythMick

Über Member
I just talked to my 13 and 11 year old boys, explaining the sad news but making sure they learn the lessons. Tragic accident, but need to make sure the opportunity is taken.

400bhp

Guru
I used to ride this section everyday until i left the park. it used to be a better layout but to assist the 'lympics the layour has been changed several times in the last 2 years. the current layout has removed the cycle lane from the the road and tried to force cyclists onto a shared path which forces you to cross 2 sliproads , one on and one off the A12. then crossing Homerton Rd junction. I spoke to somebody in hackney council cycle team 12 months ago and was fobbed off with its down to the ODA , so I wrote to Hackney council cycling team just before the layout was changed for games mode asking why the cycle lanes were removed. I haven't had a response yet and i have a feeling i won't now.
its a tragedy that should not have happened for several reasons now i have read reports , the one on road CC was fairly traumatic.

RIP

One for the press that, once we have more details of what happened.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

RIP
I'd love to0 see the risk assessment for the changes you've described. Love to.

Tragic waste of a life. RIP

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

RIP

Too right it was something that should not have happened - local authorities ignored concerns and a cyclist died.......I think the relevent council should now answer those concerns

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Rather than a meandering free-for-all aimless critical mass, a massive focussed (well behaved) ride to Downing street to hand a petition over signed only by the relatives of the 61 cyclists killed this year?

Top Bottom