Man killed by Olympic Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Wow. What a messed up day for so many people. Thank god someone was brave enough to do the unthinkable, and comfort that poor soul.

After watching this earlier http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/boy.107491/ and now reading the other cyclists acount, I'm pretty choked up. It puts all my shoot into perspective

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'd have probably gone for a very stiff drink afterwards if it had been me. That said, if you cycle in the buses blind spot then what do you expect?

RIP cyclist.

That poor young man RIP. I feel for his family and the torment they must be going through, one can only hope they get the support they need at this aweful time.

Likewise for the driver and the chap who helped at the scene, it can take several days after such an event like this for the full effect to be felt.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
+1

jaynana

as a london cyclist this is really shocking. firstly, RIP for a fellow cyclist, unbelievable courage by mrcip, the guy tried to help, the bus driver must be goin through hell too! :sad:

there's a lot that can and should be done. every day i'm on the road it makes me wonder WHY it still takes so long and why so little is still being done for the cyclists safety.

this with cycling being so high in the agenda of our mr mayor as well, congestion in public transport being a key issue, uk having binding commitments on Co2 emissions with the EU.. the list for why it's important keeps going on.

laws are outdated:
can we not introduce a compulsary dress code for cyclists? (hi-viz + helmets.. not that i wear a hi-wiz but i keep my front light flashing even in day-light so that it can be seen in car rear view mirrors)
can we not introduce a compulsary preliminary training for cyclists? so that any amature doesn't hit the road with no sense of road rules at all?
isn't a curved mirror which avoids blind-spots not a solution for big vehicles not seeing cyclists?

also cycle lanes: can't the cycle lanes be drawn up much faster? there are roads with MASSIVE walk-ways unnecessarily wide to ensure the road stays small, but no cycle lanes!

as a driver i always check my mirros before turning. maybe cos i'm a cyclist as well. i've never driven a 16-wheeler or a massive bus, but is it truly impossible to see a cyclist if you do check the left mirror before turning?? (i'm saying htis for a reason - when a vehicle is in the left most lane, with little space between the pavement and the bus the natural tendency is to assume that there's nothing in between. but its something i personally check all the time if i'm turning left)

anyways.. this hits too close to home for me, cos i cycle on london roads almost 5 days a week (i've had a crash myself (bl0ody road-rage issue between 2 cars and i was the victim) and i'm resting this week with a skinned knee and lbow as i write this!!).

there are solutions if one looks deep enough. no solution is literally that - 'not a solution'.

cheers
j

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Very Very sad, I have just almost cryied in work reading that account from that chap.
Its sad that a simple rule, not to pass on the inside of a bus would have saved his life.
I hope this raises awarness and something will be done to educate cyclist's, Wiggins win also should help.

RIP

Top Bottom