Man killed by Olympic Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Driver in his 60's. Scotland Yard said the suspect was being held on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Sandra6

Veteran
So very sad, for all concerned. My thoughts are with the guys family.
Well done to the cyclist who was there when it counted.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
laws are outdated:
can we not introduce a compulsary dress code for cyclists? (hi-viz + helmets.. not that i wear a hi-wiz but i keep my front light flashing even in day-light so that it can be seen in car rear view mirrors)
can we not introduce a compulsary preliminary training for cyclists? so that any amature doesn't hit the road with no sense of road rules at all?
isn't a curved mirror which avoids blind-spots not a solution for big vehicles not seeing cyclists?

also cycle lanes: can't the cycle lanes be drawn up much faster? there are roads with MASSIVE walk-ways unnecessarily wide to ensure the road stays small, but no cycle lanes!

cheers
j

jaynana, and other posters:
May I politely suggest that there is much there that is considered contentious in the above statements and not to discuss them here?
jaynana, you views and concerns are worthy of airing, why not start a seperate thread in say 'Commuting' to allow views to be shared?

FF

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
That's fairly standard procedure in such cases. Given that it was a bus full of media folk, the BiB are likely to be playing this one by the book...

I wouldn't read too much into the arrest.

My dad just told me that's what happened to him when a incident like this happened to him.
Standard procedure!

I read this last night and was shocked, its on my commute.

On my way in this morning, I saw 4 people (3 were girls if that makes a difference), squeeing up passed a staionery lorry at the lights, they were having to edge passed by their feet it was so tight. What does it take for people to learn?

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member

On my way in this morning, I saw 4 people (3 were girls if that makes a difference), squeeing up passed a staionery lorry at the lights, they were having to edge passed by their feet it was so tight. What does it take for people to learn?

Actually it does make a difference - apparently (he says...) quite a few deaths like this are women who don't know better, ride up the inside of a lorry or a bus and are killed when it turns. It happened to a girl at the Trafford Centre in Manchester. Lorry didn't see her, she didn't stand a chance.

GrasB

Veteran

I'm not actually sure. I've watched someone go up the inside of a bus, literally get knocked over by the bus (thankfully the bus was turning right so knocked them away from the wheels). Then no less than 2 min latter go up the inside of a different bus! Like WTF are you doing, surely being knocked over once should teach you not to go up the inside of large vehicles?

martint235

Dog on a bike
jaynana, and other posters:
May I politely suggest that there is much there that is considered contentious in the above statements and not to discuss them here?
jaynana, you views and concerns are worthy of airing, why not start a seperate thread in say 'Commuting' to allow views to be shared?

FF
I agree with FF. This thread should be about the tragic events yesterday. The arguments about hi-viz/helmets etc should be go to another thread.

Elliot_W

Regular
I ride that route nearly every day to/from work, I probably passed through the area an hour or so before this awful accident. I have noticed an increase in cyclists in the area the last 2 weeks perhaps because car traffic is so much lighter due to the Olympic lanes - people are more readily jumping red lights in the area because of this lack of traffic. There are dozens of buses though constantly ferrying people from the northern edge bus depot/park to the Olympic site using the Eastway. There are cycle paths/lanes in & around that area but they're a mess and it's easier just to ride on the road. I ran to work this morning via the same route but didn't see any indication of exactly where the accident occurred. I'll keep remembering my golden rule of never trying pass on the inside of a large vehicle if it's moving or just about to move and if in doubt just hang back and wait. RIP to the cyclist and very brave of the guy to go to go to his aid.

dawesome

Actually it does make a difference - apparently (he says...) quite a few deaths like this are women who don't know better, ride up the inside of a lorry or a bus and are killed when it turns. It happened to a girl at the Trafford Centre in Manchester. Lorry didn't see her, she didn't stand a chance.

This isn't true. Undertaking isn't a significant factor.

martint235

Dog on a bike
This isn't true. Undertaking isn't a significant factor.
Haven't got the stats to hand but I remember reading that in London it is a significant factor and for whatever reason said report highlighted the fact that women were more likely to do this than men.

This isn't the report I was thinking of but does highlight that women seem to ride into the blindspot (call it filtering rather than undertaking if you wish) more often.

Drago

Legendary Member
I disagree with Wiggins, although I personally always wear a bonce potty. However, I respect his right to hold that view without offering abuse as my response.

My sympathies to the family and friends of this gent, and hopefully the dibble investigation will establish the corse of events so we can learn lessons from it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Horrible. But yes, let's not speculate on how it happened until the investigation is complete and a legal finding has been reached. It's not fair on either the bus driver or the family & friends of the cyclist to jump to conclusions before the facts are established.

Top Bottom