Man killed by Olympic Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'd love to0 see the risk assessment for the changes you've described. Love to.

Tragic waste of a life. RIP

it will go along the lines of cyclists to dismount, cross eastway at canal bridge and use shared path parallel to eastway closest to Media Centre carpark. then cross to opposite side using zebra crossing near to vehicle screening area.

davefb

Guru
jeez, that sort of thing needs to be known about by the press or lawyers or something... depressing.

Crankarm

Guru
Surely the primary reason Wiggins wears a cycling helmet when TTing is to reduce wind resistance not for safety? The guy maybe an 18 carat gold medal winning cyclist but he's a turkey for his views on making it mandatory for cyclists to wear helmets. Cav seems to have a much better understanding of what to do to increase safety for cyclists on roads. Change the law and let cyclists have their own dedicated cycle lanes as in Holland. Wiggo couldn't have chosen a more unsuitable time to spout his views on helmets. Yesterday Cameron did not give the impression that he wanted the wearing of helmets to be made compulsory for cyclists merely saying it is a contentious issue, that many of the cycling bodies are not in agreement and the issue would be subject to further debate and committee. Mean while Boris stuck, suspended from a wire, also says there is no plan to make the wearing of helmets compulsory for cyclists in London.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

The blogger showed incredible compassion towards a fellow human being that can only be admired. However, I am troubled that he found it appropriate to publish to the world such a descriptive narrative of the victim's last moments, in particular the horrific nature of his injuries and the 'look of fear' in the victim's eyes. This will be incredibly upsetting for the family and friends of the dead man.

In my view, the blogger should have framed his account with more sensitivity and with a thought to those close to the victim who will undoubtedly learn of his involvement and read his words.

GC

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
it will go along the lines of cyclists to dismount, cross eastway at canal bridge and use shared path parallel to eastway closest to Media Centre carpark. then cross to opposite side using zebra crossing near to vehicle screening area.
with a section on what happens if cyclists don't comply?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think Dawesome and Martin235 are both part way there. Left turns by HGVs, construction traffic and buses are disproportionately represented in London cycling fatalities, but I don't think we know whether the cyclists were undertaking or not. The young architect killed on Clerkenwell Road, the fatality at Tavistock place and the young woman killed by a Tesco lorry at Streatham Hill weren't caused by undertaking - but that's just three of many.

Alan Whicker

I used to ride this section everyday until i left the park. it used to be a better layout but to assist the 'lympics the layour has been changed several times in the last 2 years. the current layout has removed the cycle lane from the the road and tried to force cyclists onto a shared path which forces you to cross 2 sliproads , one on and one off the A12. then crossing Homerton Rd junction. I spoke to somebody in hackney council cycle team 12 months ago and was fobbed off with its down to the ODA , so I wrote to Hackney council cycling team just before the layout was changed for games mode asking why the cycle lanes were removed. I haven't had a response yet and i have a feeling i won't now.
its a tragedy that should not have happened for several reasons now i have read reports , the one on road CC was fairly traumatic.

RIP

I ride that way a lot, too. I gave up for months, fed up of the HGVs working on the Olympic Park. I started using Stratford>Bow but binned it after the two fatalities last autumn and commuted by scooter instead. I used to be a militant cycling evangelist but I've got a little lad to think about now. I went back to using Ruckholt when the pedestrian/cycle bridge opened, thinking if they'd built that, then the infrastructure for cyclists must have improved. Sustainable Olympics, innit.

Well, no. It's much worse than before. Subaqua's description nails it. Also worth mentioning is that the shared paths are covered in fine gravel. It's just an appalling place to cycle. There is absolutely no way that a cyclist was consulted in the planning phase.

Risk is something everyone has to accept when you ride a bike. Fair enough. But there is no East/West route that could be considered remotely safe. It really does boil my p*ss that cyclists are just expected to accept that and get on with it. When is that going to change?

AnotherEye

LCC had already recognised the danger at this junction & called for a reduction in the speed limit:
http://lcc.org.uk/articles/wiggins-...ersion-from-lack-of-safe-olympic-cycle-routes

subaqua

What’s the point
Ben is sort of right, the traffic steams off the A12 far in excess of the stated speed limit for the A12.sadly with no real enforcement this will continue. there is enough space to build proper cycling infrastructure along eastway and ruckholt roadall the way into leyton . the draft plans for legacy show a roundabout at the end of the slips where Dan was killed. not sure if this will help or cause more left hook squashes. i suppose tis is what hapens with urban motorways that are grade separated except at junctions.

Top Bottom