Man Shot in Both Legs by Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've made similar complains before - it's perfectly true that some media articles are anti-bike.
I don't see that here, however, @vickster gave a perfect good explanation for the mention of a bike, and the word 'cyclist' didn't make an appearance until the following paragraph.

It all seems reasonable.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Seems like a typical travelling community kneecapping where they damage the kneecaps to put the person in a wheelchair for the rest of their life.

So what proportion of previous kneecappings in NI over the years have been down to travellers ?

D

Deleted member 26715

Indeed. isn't it more of a paramilitary MO for meting out punishment for some perceived transgression?
Or maybe he was diddling where he shouldn't have been diddling, or he could be completely innocent & the shooter had a case of mistaken identity, or it was totally random act by a sociopath, we do not know

Erm..."The cyclist ordered the victim to lie down..."
I'm going to give them a pass on this one. This nasty word is only used once in the article, and not until the 3rd para.
Journalists often do emphasise "cyclist" in this sort of story, and I agree it is damaging, but I think in this case it's just a fairly natural way of writing.

Often they put "CYCLIST" in the headline, like on this disreputable website

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Maybe he asked the cyclist for a drink of water.

Maybe he didn’t return a wave.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It looks like they put 'cyclist' just to distinguish him from the other chap. Otherwise it would have read 'the man ordered the victim to...' and it would have been less clear who they were referring to.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It looks like they put 'cyclist' just to distinguish him from the other chap. Otherwise it would have read 'the man ordered the victim to...' and it would have been less clear who they were referring to.

I think the commonly-used word ‘gunman‘ would’ve done.

Top Bottom