Man Ute sacked David Moyes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
In fact there is good statistical evidence that very few managers make any difference at all to a club's success. .

Which further endorses Fergies managerial success

U

User169

Louis Van Gaal is being tipped as a replacement. Not sure about that one. He's certainly more in the mould of Ferguson but he's not delivered instant success at clubs.

Usually delivers given time, especially with young players. Not sure what the British press would make of him though - he's a bit brusque even by Dutch standards.

AndyRM

XOXO
Usually delivers given time, especially with young players. Not sure what the British press would make of him though - he's a bit brusque even by Dutch standards.

True. But are the club going to be patient with him? They really need to be, though I suspect that this season will be viewed as a blip if he comes in and does well.

U

User169

True. But are the club going to be patient with him? They really need to be, though I suspect that this season will be viewed as a blip if he comes in and does well.

Gawd knows Andy.

No secret though that van Gaal wants a premiership club and he's pretty sure of his own genius, so could certainly put up with the pressure.

Van Gaal up against Mourinho would be good value!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
So, It looks like the class of '92 is taking over for the remaining few games. Giggs, Scholes and Butt are at the helm for the rest of the season.

perplexed

Guru
Not so sure about that analysis. MUFC won the league quite comfortably last year. Since then, only LFC have really upped their game. But MUFC are 7th with what will be their worst points total since the advent of the Premiership. For sure, the senior players past their best are another year older but Moyes was in control of the transfers over the summer so he could have influenced this somewhat.

FWIW my analysis is that MUFC are a worse side than last year, but not that much worse. I think we underestimate the positive motivational impact of playing for Ferguson, and thus the negative impact of playing for Moyes

Not to mention the 20 minutes extra time he used to get when they were losing...:whistle:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Not so sure about that analysis. MUFC won the league quite comfortably last year. Since then, only LFC have really upped their game. But MUFC are 7th with what will be their worst points total since the advent of the Premiership. For sure, the senior players past their best are another year older but Moyes was in control of the transfers over the summer so he could have influenced this somewhat.

FWIW my analysis is that MUFC are a worse side than last year, but not that much worse. I think we underestimate the positive motivational impact of playing for Ferguson, and thus the negative impact of playing for Moyes

LFC have obviously upped their game, and whilst not as spectacularly, but certainly quite significantly to the Moyes debate, so have Everton who have achieved their best points total since the advent of the Premiership, mainly with players who were signed by Moyes. As a season ticket holder I can say that watching Everton home and away this season under Martinez has been far more enjoyable than it was under Moyes. To be fair we did play some good stuff at times under Moyes (but also some dreadful stuff too) and he saved us from oblivion when he came. However, he seemed to develop a very cautious mindset and tended to talk down the team's capabilities, which seemed to result in the players lacking the necessary self belief at the big moments. Listening to Utd fans on phone ins recently they have complained of similar things.

Moyes alienated himself from Evertonians with some clumsy remarks when he first tried to sign Baines and Fellaini, and many have revelled in his demise, but FWIW, I put that down to a moment of crassness. and bear no grudge. He left a solid foundation at Everton and I'm grateful for what he did there. I just think he was the wrong horse on the wrong course at Utd.

AndyRM

XOXO
So, It looks like the class of '92 is taking over for the remaining few games. Giggs, Scholes and Butt are at the helm for the rest of the season.

Having had a bit of a think about this, I believe it sums up the situation rather well. These players are all United legends with multiple medals and accolades. You couldn't say the same of Moyes and so it was easy for players to take the attitude of 'you've done nothing! what do you know and why should we play for you?'

They'll have an easy ride too I reckon, as nobody expects anything from Man U this season.

[QUOTE 3041405, member: 1314"]eh?[/QUOTE]
They've analysed England's performances in tournaments for last 50 or so years. They compared it to the salary of the teams chosen for each game and compared it to the salary of the rest of the players at that time. What they discovered is that the results of the England team are directly related to the value of the players on the pitch. ie when the most expensive players were picked, England did the best, when less expensive players were picked, they faired not so well. May seem obvious but it mostly negated any manager input and the conclusion was pick the most expensive team and you will stand the best chance of success irrespective who's in charge. This was the case for a national team which train together much less than a club team so may not be relevant to Man U.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
LFC have obviously upped their game, and whilst not as spectacularly, but certainly quite significantly to the Moyes debate, so have Everton who have achieved their best points total since the advent of the Premiership, mainly with players who were signed by Moyes. As a season ticket holder I can say that watching Everton home and away this season under Martinez has been far more enjoyable than it was under Moyes. To be fair we did play some good stuff at times under Moyes (but also some dreadful stuff too) and he saved us from oblivion when he came. However, he seemed to develop a very cautious mindset and tended to talk down the team's capabilities, which seemed to result in the players lacking the necessary self belief at the big moments. Listening to Utd fans on phone ins recently they have complained of similar things.

Moyes alienated himself from Evertonians with some clumsy remarks when he first tried to sign Baines and Fellaini, and many have revelled in his demise, but FWIW, I put that down to a moment of crassness. and bear no grudge. He left a solid foundation at Everton and I'm grateful for what he did there. I just think he was the wrong horse on the wrong course at Utd.

Sorry, you are quit right. I was talking about the traditional "contenders" ie CFC, AFC,MCFC. Everton are definitely amongst these now and the fact that they have secured their best ever points total and MUFC their worst is quite an indictment of Moyes and a plaudit for Martinez. This can't be a statistical fluke I think.

As a LFC supporter I can't abide Ferguson. But to give him his due, he gave his players an unerring self belief that they were better than the opposition. Moyes, in his dealings with the press, has failed time and again to do this. Seems he had the same problem at EFC

ASC1951

Guru
[QUOTE 3041405, member: 1314"]eh?[/QUOTE]

They've analysed England's performances in tournaments for last 50 or so years. .....
There is in fact a fair bit of research backing up the relatively minor role of managers. See for instance Prof Szymansky's book Soccernomics and the weighty UEFA study http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/58/53/46/1585346_DOWNLOAD.pdf
- and for those who only believe stuff from the Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/apr/18/premier-league-club-accounts-debt

Top Bottom