England : Cheshire Manchester 100 Cycle Chat Team Outing - 02/09/2012 - Sub six hours ride time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry cant make this now. My mum is coming over to visit as my Grandad isnt well. Would love to have done this. Hope you all have a great day.

Hiya

I'm thinking about joining you guys for the ride. Not done 100 miles at speed before though!
Come on down Schneil, the more the merrier.

I've not even ridden for a couple of weeks myself, so I must get out this weekend and get a few miles in my legs.

[EDIT] the above hasn't happened for me this week :sad:. So with Skol's 'friendly' reminder ringing in ears I'm going to graciously bow out this time guys. Ride safe :thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK folks. 7.00am meet, 7:15 roll out - see bottom of post !

Down side ? Aiming for sub six hour time (16.67 mph) - Plus side, easily achievable in a group, especially if we stick together

.Very few traffic lights, so if your commutes are above 14 mph, this should be fine. REALLY.

Can I just remind people about the original plan for the is ride?

I don't want to discourage anyone from joining but from the outset this ride has not been sold as a 'typical' forum ride. We won't abandon anyone, but unless you are reasonably confident that you can cover the distance at the speeds discussed (and I know the original ride members can do this) then you should think carefully if it is really sensible to try it when the declared intention has always been for a 'quick' run.

There, I've said it and hopefully not upset anyone but I really wouldn't want anybody to roll up expecting the usual 'all riders welcome' forum ride pace and get a shock when the speeds start touching 20mph(+?), hopefully for long periods of time.

Everyone is welcome but please think carefully before deciding to attempt your 1st century if you haven't ridden further than 50-60 miles and usually travel at an average of 12-14mph :thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You've upset me.:cry:
Stop whining you! You are a regular centurion? All you need to do is push your sorry hide a little bit faster :sweat:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
OK - go-ahead from SWMBO and I'll be collecting oldfatfool en-route.

Is there anyone who lives nearby who wouldn't mind a car parked outside:

a - it's SWMBO's and it'll have roof bars on top. Anything happens to it and she'll kill me
b - I'm not exactly sure where I'm going for the meeting point :rolleyes:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Skolly hit the nail.

Tbh it's a brisk pace but not pushing it. Ive done it twice in just over 5 hours, the first was easier as the winds were ok.

We will be working as a bunch doing a steady 20 mph, tight knit usually. We work by talking to each other, if feeling fine, then stay at the front. We can do some typical club riding, like through and off, if we all feel like it.

It will be sociable though, something I have noticed was missing on the last m100 ride I did... Miserable lot I ended up with, going for a quick time. You can have a laugh and ride well.

Edwards80

Über Member
Is there anyone who lives nearby who wouldn't mind a car parked outside:

Depends on your definition of "nearby" :smile: I'll be riding there - I live about 6 miles away from the start point. It's on my commute route so I know the way there too, don't want to increase my record of getting people lost. No problem leaving the car outside.

400bhp

Guru
I think the thing to remember, sub 6 hours is a target, but not the be all and end all. We'll ride at a pace that suits the majority of us.

The biggest issue will be the amount of other cyclists on the road, meaning that keeping all of us together won't be easy unless people shout up if they are off the back/mechanical/junction.

Can we be clear about stops please as it's easier to prepare in advance for water & food (carry or not to carry)? 50 mile cafe stop, but what are we doing for others (if any)?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can we be clear about stops please as it's easier to prepare in advance for water & food (carry or not to carry)? 50 mile cafe stop, but what are we doing for others (if any)?

You are right of course N. We all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet or else some might struggle. I still stand by my original suggestion of 2 stops. 1st at about 50-55 miles, then a second to split the remaining distance.

My strategy is this.
  • Ride the first leg non-stop (providing there are no incidents!) drinking from bottles and eating small snacks from pockets as necessary while on the move.
  • Main stop somewhere between 50-60 miles. This will hopefully see some 'proper' food :mrpig:although a full-on Sunday roast at a pub might be a bit time consuming (a full English at a cafe wouldn't go amiss ^_^). a sandwich or pie and coffee would suffice. Refill bottles here.
  • Final splash and dash stop at around the 75-80 mile mark. just 10 minutes to take a breather, have a drink and some snacks while gathering one's energies for the sprint finish! Could be a layby, cafe or pub car park?
Picking the venue for the main stop will be the tricky one as I guess there will be a few thousand other riders trying to stop at the same time/place. Now I've mentioned it, I wouldn't mind walking in somewhere and ordering a full breakfast if it was going to be served without a big delay.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the venues already suggested so this is where I hand over to those of you with local info. I have experienced the official stop about 10 years ago but can't remember much about it and the fayre provided (good/bad/indifferent/expensive?)

400bhp

Guru
You are right of course N. We all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet or else some might struggle. I still stand by my original suggestion of 2 stops. 1st at about 50-55 miles, then a second to split the remaining distance.

My strategy is this.
  • Ride the first leg non-stop (providing there are no incidents!) drinking from bottles and eating small snacks from pockets as necessary while on the move.
  • Main stop somewhere between 50-60 miles. This will hopefully see some 'proper' food :mrpig:although a full-on Sunday roast at a pub might be a bit time consuming (a full English at a cafe wouldn't go amiss ^_^). a sandwich or pie and coffee would suffice. Refill bottles here.
  • Final splash and dash stop at around the 75-80 mile mark. just 10 minutes to take a breather, have a drink and some snacks while gathering one's energies for the sprint finish! Could be a layby, cafe or pub car park?
Picking the venue for the main stop will be the tricky one as I guess there will be a few thousand other riders trying to stop at the same time/place. Now I've mentioned it, I wouldn't mind walking in somewhere and ordering a full breakfast if it was going to be served without a big delay.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the venues already suggested so this is where I hand over to those of you with local info. I have experienced the official stop about 10 years ago but can't remember much about it and the fayre provided (good/bad/indifferent/expensive?)

Already sorted mate earlier in the thread.

Nantwich Marina - literally 1/2 mile before the official school stop. I went there last week to check it out. Nice little cafe and nice grub. :thumbsup:

The last official stop is a pub which is 25 miles from the finish - only downside from memory was the wait to get served and the lack of available food left. There is a co-op type place about a mile before that stop though.

I agree with your strategy too - Foss to confirm.

Top Bottom