'Manchester 100' sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclegeek

I have signed up to do my first ever sportive, the manchester 100k but I have one very stupid question. :blush:

What do I do with my sportive number? Its made of paper so if I stick it on my back and it rains it will get destroyed, so where is it meant to go? :wacko:

Alun

Guru
It might be laminated to zip tie onto your bike, or printed on some sort of waterproof paper. However as it seldom rains in Manchester it shouldn't be a problem. :whistle:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Don't bother putting it on - it serves no purpose.

Exactly what he said ^. Also, DON'T PAY FOR IT EITHER!!! This charlatan company exploit the inexperience of those who rarely do an event like this and charge them money yet give virtually nothing back in return. I reckon if you like Bike Events stuff, you should do four or five and pay for one. That's about fair all round.

OP
OP
cyclegeek

cyclegeek

Exactly what he said ^. Also, DON'T PAY FOR IT EITHER!!! This charlatan company exploit the inexperience of those who rarely do an event like this and charge them money yet give virtually nothing back in return. I reckon if you like Bike Events stuff, you should do four or five and pay for one. That's about fair all round.

To late for this one I'm afraid. Its my first sportive and just thought 'this would be a good one to ride' I didn't really do any research on it. :sad:

Camgreen

To late for this one I'm afraid. Its my first sportive and just thought 'this would be a good one to ride' I didn't really do any research on it. :sad:

This is the Christie's Manchester 100? ...... It'll be paper numbers then. You'll get the number in advance, find a friend with a laminator if you want to preserve it. Rain or shine it may easily rip off in my experience.

OP
OP
cyclegeek

cyclegeek

This is the Christie's Manchester 100? ...... It'll be paper numbers then. You'll get the number in advance, find a friend with a laminator if you want to preserve it. Rain or shine it may easily rip off in my experience.

Yeah it is for Christie's. Thanks for the advice.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yeah it is for Christie's. Thanks for the advice.

No it's not. They sugg you under the pretence it's FOR Christies but read the blurb you get sent. It tells you quite categorically that Bike Events get the whole lot and contribute nothing to Christies. They are basically telling you to drum up some sponsorship and then dictate where that sponsorship should go. I'd tell them where they should go if I were you.

Oh, and lastly, it ISN'T a sportive in the meaning of the term. It is a loosely arranged bike ride. Your number is meaningless. It doesn't get timed out and most serpently does not get timed in. There are no intermediate time points en-route and if you want some food or drink on the way round, they kindly point out the positions of shops for you. That's nice, isn't it?

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
No it's not. They sugg you under the pretence it's FOR Christies but read the blurb you get sent. It tells you quite categorically that Bike Events get the whole lot and contribute nothing to Christies. They are basically telling you to drum up some sponsorship and then dictate where that sponsorship should go. I'd tell them where they should go if I were you.

Oh, and lastly, it ISN'T a sportive in the meaning of the term. It is a loosely arranged bike ride. Your number is meaningless. It doesn't get timed out and most serpently does not get timed in. There are no intermediate time points en-route and if you want some food or drink on the way round, they kindly point out the positions of shops for you. That's nice, isn't it?

MadPensioner will be after you soon.

"It most certainly IS for charity..."

But of course, it's not is it.

Camgreen

Surely it's up to cyclegeek what he does with his money?

Whatever your issues with BikeEvents and where they direct the money, I think referring to it as "loosely arranged" is a tad harsh; from my own experience I've found no fault with the organisation of the day. Whether that "organisation" equates to £17 worth is one for debate ..... which I'm sure PaulB you'll be only too happy to oblige
rolleyes.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whatever your issues with BikeEvents and where they direct the money, I think referring to it as "loosely arranged" is a tad harsh; from my own experience I've found no fault with the organisation of the day. Whether that "organisation" equates to £17 worth is one for debate ..... which I'm sure PaulB you'll be only too happy to oblige
rolleyes.gif
I did the M100 about 5 or 6 times. There are about 100 junctions and there is supposed to be a marshal at each and every one of them. The map that they give you is pretty useless so you need those marshals and/or direction arrows at the junctions.

On two of my M100s, some marshals were missing and so were the arrows so I assume that each marshal is responsible for his/her own arrow - no marshal, no arrow!

The first time this happened, I ended up descending one of the biggest hills in the area and riding another couple of miles before I realised that I should have turned at the junction at the top of the hill. I decided that it would be easier to find my own way back onto the route so I did an extra little loop through Cheshire taking my distance up to nearer 110 miles for the day.

The second time, I remembered the route so I was able to go the right way despite the lack of guidance. In fact, I saved a big group from exploring Cheshire when I shouted to them that they had overshot the unmarked turn.

Then there were sleeping marshals at busy junctions! No help there, but fortunately the arrows were up.

I was pretty peeved when it dawned on me that the charity side of the M100 event was almost an optional extra and even more annoyed when PaulB told me that the charity typically has to pay extra up front for the privilege of being associated with the event.

I've done charity rides where 95% of the entry fees went to the charity. All the people organising the event were volunteers, and local shops and businesses donated food and drink for the feed stations. That's how it should be done.

If Bike Events promoted their rides as sportives, they would have to do more for the money and there wouldn't be this ill feeling.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Owing to having to work Sunday's for the next 4/5/6 months it looks like I'm gonna miss this one :-(

Gives me time to fix my nutrition issues I guess so at least next year, all being well, I'm gonna fly :-)

Top Bottom