'Manchester 100' sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Owing to having to work Sunday's for the next 4/5/6 months it looks like I'm gonna miss this one :-(

Gives me time to fix my nutrition issues I guess so at least next year, all being well, I'm gonna fly :-)
Gaz - there's nothing to stop you going out on a day off and having a go at the route anyway! I suppose the traffic might be a problem during the week (unless you started really early). It is always pretty busy for the last 20 miles or so even on a Sunday.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz - there's nothing to stop you going out on a day off and having a go at the route anyway! I suppose the traffic might be a problem during the week (unless you started really early). It is always pretty busy for the last 20 miles or so even on a Sunday.

Very true, you up for shot-gun ? :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not sure if I'll bother this year. Enjoyed it first time as was with a decent chatty group. Last year I set off in the first group at 7am, but the group I ended up with were a miserable bunch (first on the road) and one or two of the guys were seriously quick, and wanted to set the pace - it got a bit insane, and a few of them nearly ended up under a BMW taking a bend without looking. Ended up spending about 50 miles on my todd.

Best advice, don't go off at 7am - maybe go for 7:15 or 7:30, then you'll be able to pick and mix the groups depending upon your pace.

ColinJ

Very true, you up for shot-gun ? :smile:
Not this time - you need someone faster who hasn't got a 50 mile limit on his/her a*se! :whistle:

I've already written off this year in terms of speed and distance. The riding I do for the rest of this year is strictly for fun and to get me fit enough to get stuck in properly next year!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Me and my mate are doing it this year , did the 100km last year and fancy going for the 100miler this time , going to send my money off tomorrow (and yes i know all the money goes to the devil and not Christies but i dont care if they spend all £18 or whatever it is on Ace 8 beer and pi** it up a tree as long as theres a van to pick me up off the road when i fall over through exhaustion)
, what time was the earliest start last year , can anyone remember .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
7am is earliest start. Parking is a bit of a pig, so get there early.

I'm fortunate to be able to ride there - 10 miles, but remember it's rather gloomy at 6.30am if overcast, so fitting some removeable flashers might be adviseable.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Will aim to get there for 6.30 then.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Based on Manchester - Blackpool @ 17.5mph avarage and the Coast to Coast earlier this year @ 12.5mph (it was very lumpy) would 15mph avarage seem do able on this 100mile route or is 7hrs including a 20mm stop half way rather optermistic.

ColinJ

Based on Manchester - Blackpool @ 17.5mph avarage and the Coast to Coast earlier this year @ 12.5mph (it was very lumpy) would 15mph avarage seem do able on this 100mile route or is 7hrs including a 20mm stop half way rather optermistic.
I (5 times) rode the Manchester 100 in about 6 hours 30 minutes (including 45 minutes of stops) when I was overweight and certainly not super-fit so I'd say that your target is very doable.

(The one time I rode it fit, I could probably have done it in about 5 hours 30 minutes including stops but my mate was struggling so I slowed down and waited for him.)

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I (5 times) rode the Manchester 100 in about 6 hours 30 minutes (including 45 minutes of stops) when I was overweight and certainly not super-fit so I'd say that your target is very doable.

(The one time I rode it fit, I could probably have done it in about 5 hours 30 minutes including stops but my mate was struggling so I slowed down and waited for him.)

Cheers Colin
Will give it a good go .

professionalman

Any organisation that promotes events such as this one are obviously not going to the bother for nothing!

To be fair to Bike Events the marshalling is fairly good (not perfect), the rides are good fun and the routes well planned. I do have issues with the various add ons, my main gripe being the cost of coach travel from one end of an event to another - that is overpriced!

In retrospect to Bike Events I would give them a 7.5 out of 10 - if you dont want to pay organise your own rides.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Any organisation that promotes events such as this one are obviously not going to the bother for nothing!

Quite. They go to the bother to make a big profit. It has to be asked what they give back for the profit they make and my answer would be....very little. Very little indeed.

Top Bottom