'Manchester 100' sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Not this time - you need someone faster who hasn't got a 50 mile limit on his/her a*se! :whistle:

I've already written off this year in terms of speed and distance. The riding I do for the rest of this year is strictly for fun and to get me fit enough to get stuck in properly next year!

I'm unlikely to be able to make it at all this year anyway now, the closer we get, the less likely it is

Parrot of Doom

I've just signed up for this. The most I've done lately is 64 miles in about 5 hours 15 mins, including a 20-minute break. I reckon 100 miles should be easily do-able, so long as I don't get "target vision" (ie, see another cyclist, must overtake!)

DTD

Veteran
I've signed up for this – not sure I'm going to find it easily do-able – did 100k today including a pant up the Peak District and I'm knackered!

Crimmey

Looks pan flat to me, well after today's Geoff Thomas ride it does anyway. Weather and stem dependant :smile: Ill be on TT bike going for a fairly fast 'un...maybe. Not many more opportunites to use it this year :sad:

Camgreen

Looks like me and my better half will have another dabble at the 100k; probably sign up on the day though if we do.

Unclejohnsson

One of the best sportives of the season left the outskirts of Manchester; Tour of the Roaches. Tough. Eccles cake. Puntures. Hills.

Camgreen

Not sure I could manage tough Eccles cakes with my teeth UncleJ
biggrin.gif

Unclejohnsson

You could give it to me next year then. Nothing quite beats, after 100 miles, destroying calorie rich food at a great rate but without any guilt.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
You could give it to me next year then. Nothing quite beats, after 100 miles, destroying calorie rich food at a great rate but without any guilt.

I must be doing something wrong, earlier this year i did the coast 2 coast (St bees to Robinhood bay) 170 miles -over one and a half days and tucking into plenty of food to keep the strength up i put weight ON ....Gutted

grimpeur

Veteran
Done this event last two years and enjoyed the day. If you are self-sufficient ,ie carry enough food and are confident you can fix your bike if something goes wrong then I really can't see why you would need to pay to ride this event ,as others have said. Agree the 'race' number idea is pointless as there are no timings taken or given.
This event is very popular with thousands taking part, you will rarely find yourself on your own and despite people insisting it is a charity ride and not a race there are lots of mini road races within the event between competitively inclined riders out to prove their mettle on a bike. As with all these events you may meet some aggressive riders/car drivers who will annoy you but by and large the riders out there are very friendly and good spirited.
It is an early start,too early some would say, but once you are up and rolling you will enjoy it.

If it's warmish day you will want to drink maybe 3 litres during the 100ml race but you can fill up bottles(with water) at the half way point. I saw a lot of people carrying rucksacks on this event which is not recommended. You should be able to carry what you need in your back pockets or seat pack/bum bag including cereal bars/gels etc. Rucksack will slow you down so leave this at home.

400bhp

Guru
I must be doing something wrong, earlier this year i did the coast 2 coast (St bees to Robinhood bay) 170 miles -over one and a half days and tucking into plenty of food to keep the strength up i put weight ON ....Gutted

I think that's the right thing to do.

Much better than not having enough fuel and struggling to do it.

Convince yourself the extra weight was a build up of additional muscle tissue.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom